Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100k VX service

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
My other half has just clocked up 100000km in the Wagon, we've only had it since december, and the 90000km had already been done.

So the question is.. .what oil? synthetic or not? I don't know what has been used in it for the past 100000km's will it make a difference using one or the other?

what else should be done now? brake, transmission and diff oil, all filters?

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Consult your manual, but I am pretty sure the next major service would be at 120,000k's, but if you are not sure about it's service history better off to do a big service now that way you can be sure.

Drew

retro-tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
1963 EJ Special Wagon
generally, if you dont use synthetic early in an engines life, dont start using it at a later date.

If its had a mineral oil in it for this long, keep using the mineral stuff.

heard of many engines that have had for example 100K on them, then the owner uses a synthetic for the first time and seals let go. Perhaps the seals react differently to the different oil and they let go... Eg, seals such as the rear main seal - which means engine out to fix.

I was going to put the synthetic in mine when i first purchased it at 69K, but advice from my mechanic was - too late, keep using the mineral.

Cheers
Drew

A

Astro_Ghouls

i think one thing the recommend at the 100k service is the timing belt, and thats an expensive job

F

Frenzal

Service

Astro_Ghouls said:
i think one thing the recommend at the 100k service is the timing belt, and thats an expensive job

Service manual for 100,000 says just to inspect belt....says nothing about replacing.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Had a look through the service manual and all bar the last 2 services were done at Holden, would they have used a synthetic oil or not? if they have used a synthetic oil, should i stick with that or just use a mineral based oil?

Thanks

R

RKZ234

damo007 said:
Had a look through the service manual and all bar the last 2 services were done at Holden, would they have used a synthetic oil or not? if they have used a synthetic oil, should i stick with that or just use a mineral based oil?

Thanks

They would have used a crappy mineral oil meeting the bare minimum requirements Holden set, unless the previous owner specified otherwise. The only real way to tell, is to check if Synthetic Oil was specially noted on the Service Invoice which you probably don't have access to. So call up the servicing dealer and ask them to reprint the invoice.