Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

climate control conversion a success not so hard as others say

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
Hey guys i just finished my vt and put climate control in it ,i have been reading for months how people thinks its hard ,not worth it etc well i paid $149 for heater box and body loom and off i went 12 hrs later i have climate control, looks awsome with blue leds and the calais dash and now have all the little extra features of a calais, berlina. I was guna just spider it into my loom but my heater need replacing so i thought while it out i will do the whole loom.

Just a few pointers if you are guna try it ,well i compare the job to doing a engine swap the only hard part was the actual relay box in the engine bay well that can get you cursing ,you have to remove all the relays and the fuses and i would recommend tape the whole relay block up with grey electrical tape to help hold and protect the wires while going through firewall if you can have 2 people for that part.

now i am guna try my little bro's vt and try and spider it into a standard loom and standard heater box and all you have to have is the vacuum switching block of a climate control box unless you wana swap your whole heater to climate control box ,as there is one electric actuator on the bottom for selecting hot and cold but the rest should be easy ,i have work it all out how i am guna do it and fingers crossed that it will work with a bit of soldiering to the climate control module for air con to switch on but if you dont want or care about aircon well its easier than we all think. i will try it in the next few weeks and i will do a write up on it but look out for my write up if its possible or not.

The hardest part about the module is the actual aircon request wire on a standard loom there is a wire that goes from standard air con switch but in the calais-berlina they have been tricky and change it to the serial data wire which send heaps of info through that wire that communcates with abs,srs dash climate control pcm etc so there no way of getting a pulse from that wire.
So you can just wire that in like the standard looms ac, i am going to find a point in the climate control module to get my ac request and hopefully it will work . so stay tuned and look out for it when i do as i am eager to do it and maybe make kits up for sale if you are really wanting it but cant be stuffed trying to work it out.

Wish it was as easy as the vp just wire it up and go, but once i figure this out it will be as easy as that.

bhopper

v8vlwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl wagon
well done mate want to do this myself

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Good on ya. Everyone says it is too hard because we can't be bothered nutting it all out like you have.
A write up with keeping your standard heater box and a full conversion would get you some pretty good rep around here I think.
Many people would give it a go if they had some comprehensive and easy to follow instructions to help them along the way. And selling kits is a great idea to speed things up.
I for one once bought a conversion kit, but seeing that the heater box was broken was enough for me to sell it again in seperate parts without the heater box (for profit hehe) and give up on that idea.

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
Cheers fellas well i wont rest until i have done the actual conversion to a standard box ,i cheated with doing the loom but it was there so i thought i might as well do it while i do heater core but of your air con is all good be a pain to have to get it degassed and regassed ,get new bcm ,keys and link up with pcm ,so i will knot this one out ,i only got a hold of some good info the night i put it back together but stay tuned i will beat holden at there own game .

-jjM-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS 6pd
Possible if you could give a rough explination/tutorial here eg, parts, features and where everything goes

If possible would you please post any links if possible in relation to your conversion as i am egar to try this myself

That or send me a pm
Much appreciated

benny29

Reaction score
Members Ride
ute
got a contact number mate im just about to do the same job cheers

kham383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE
I did it to my VU pretty easy swap out the hardest part was getting the fuse box through the firewall i cut the fuse box in half then plastic welded it back together.

Last edited:

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
i did this conversion back when i still had my white VS L67... took me 7 hours with the aid of a good friend and it worked perfectly the first time... its a relatively easy mod if you actually do some decent research :)
good luck on your bros vt too