Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spool Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Hey guys

Would a mini spool be worth the money for my V6 executive???

Thnx

walkahz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Wagon
Well its illegal to have one in on the road so nooooo.
Also unless your drag racing it does sfa and makes it dangerous to drive in the wet!

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
ps. most mods are illegal without an engineers cert or epa testing, big deal.

i have one to go in my daily driven vs ute with a v6 and manual. it cant be that bad.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Had one before and would never again in a daily driver. makes the car a pig to drive at low speeds and carparks are ridiculous. And you WILL snap axles.

Get a decent LSD.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Get an LSD else you HAVE to do a burnout to make a U-turn.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
makes the car a pig to drive at low speeds and carparks are ridiculous. And you WILL snap axles.
1. Low speed driving isnt bad (e.g 10-15km+), get some sticky tyres and light pressure on the throttle and you wont even hear it in most cases :)
2. There is not garentee you will or wont snap axles :) I have drove mine daily for almost 2 years, original axles that came with the car from the factory. No broken axles :D 28 spline axles are actually pretty strong :)

Also unless your drag racing it does sfa and makes it dangerous to drive in the wet!
LOL doesn't matter if you have a single, lsd or a spool.... if you drive like an idiot you will kill yourself in the wet (or dry)
I know people wont believe this but I can actually go quicker around corners in the wet as apposed to the single I used to have :)

Alot of people seem to have this idea that in the wet, if one slips the other one will then its all over and in my experience it's incorrect, It's pretty much its the opposite, if one slips its because the other wheel has more grip and is keeping you on the road perfectly fine :D

Yours Sincerely
Owner of a daily driven spooled car :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Well its illegal to have one in on the road so nooooo.

I lol'd hard........
Probably best not to listen to anyone who hasn't actually driven with a spool before....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
1. Low speed driving isnt bad (e.g 10-15km+), get some sticky tyres and light pressure on the throttle and you wont even hear it in most cases :)

Youre kidding right, the stickier the tyres the worse it is.

2. There is not garentee you will or wont snap axles :) I have drove mine daily for almost 2 years, original axles that came with the car from the factory. No broken axles :D 28 spline axles are actually pretty strong :)

You were lucky, or didnt have enough power lol

LOL doesn't matter if you have a single, lsd or a spool.... if you drive like an idiot you will kill yourself in the wet (or dry)
I know people wont believe this but I can actually go quicker around corners in the wet as apposed to the single I used to have :)

Alot of people seem to have this idea that in the wet, if one slips the other one will then its all over and in my experience it's incorrect, It's pretty much its the opposite, if one slips its because the other wheel has more grip and is keeping you on the road perfectly fine :D

How can you have more grip with a spool? Without one, both tyres have solid contact with the road on cornering. With one, one tyre is constantly losing traction. The only advantage of a spool in the wet is that the car is a lot more predictable.

Yours Sincerely
Owner of a daily driven spooled car :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I lol'd hard........
Probably best not to listen to anyone who hasn't actually driven with a spool before....

Why do you think minispools are illegal? They decrease the ability of the vehicle the hold traction on cornering (which is why most people get them). This in turn would make the vehicle more dangerous in the wet than a vehicle with a normal diff. This doesnt mean youre guaranteed to crash it just means its not as safe as a normal diff for general driving purposes.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Why do you think minispools are illegal? They decrease the ability of the vehicle the hold traction on cornering (which is why most people get them). This in turn would make the vehicle more dangerous in the wet than a vehicle with a normal diff. This doesnt mean youre guaranteed to crash it just means its not as safe as a normal diff for general driving purposes.

I know exactly why they are illegal. I have NFI what your post is on about tho. They are not dangerous in the wet. Theres only one type of person who would kill themselves in the wet with a spool, and chances are they killed themselves when they had their open wheeler and never got a chance to get the spool.

This just in, something thats predicable is unsafe......haha. Please keep replying, i need a new sig :)

Another spool thread, another bunch of know it alls who have never even driven with one. The op can take the advice of whoeever he wants, but i bet he'll take advice from the few who dail drive spools, over the 'my cousins brothers uncle next door neighbour had one' guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.