Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Brakes

M

mikemutlow

I know this subject ha sbeen covered quite a lot on this site - but after reading all the posts I am still confused!
I thought one of the 'improved' features of the VT was the revised braking system which was introduced. Anyhow, my impression only having driven a Commodore recently is that the standard brakes leave a lot to be desired and I would like to make them a bit more effective.
So the question is what does actually make a difference?
-Will simply using 'better' pads bring any noticable improvement? If so which ones?
-Will aftermarket rotors be the best solution and what difference have people actually noticed between smooth / slotted / drilled rotors? Again which brands work best and offer best value for money?
-Is the problem that the calipers are just not up to the job and these need to be changed for better ones; if so which ones?
I am not looking for ultra high braking performance - just something that feels more reassuring than the current set up.
Can we have a definitive view from those that have played around with this stuff on what works and what doesn't!

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Mike I can tell you now that i had the cruddiest brakes in my VT when i got it. The standard disks required machining twice in 2 months. These were just the front ones. It was squeaking badly at this stage. I said enough's enough. My mate recommended me DBA Slotted/Vented rotors. Painted them in red with Temp. Resistant paint, installed them and I tell you now, squeaking's gone and my braking distance is almost halved. And i'm not kidding about this. The DBA Slotted rotors work.

Mike check out this site. I recommend the DBA's highly: www.dba.com.au/rotors_slotted.asp

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
My mate bought a vy brand new a few years a go and at 50000km's they started to sqeal.He took the car back to holden and they machined his discs and installed new brake pads. The problem returned less than 5000k's down the track.They repeated the job again with the same results. He is now living with this holden design flaw. I too with my vt have the same problem. I will take you advice and have the slotted dba rotors fitted to both of our cars. Thanks for the info.

Logzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Clubsport
Dont want to throw a spanner in the works but i am not impressed with the slotted discs at all.
Didnt notice really any improvement after fitting them on my vx.
I had a VK some time ago and fitted the slotted and drilled with not much if any imrovement on that as well. The main thing i did notice with the cross drilled is that i got brake fade earlier.!!, I suppose they may have pulled up a bit quicker but definatly got brake fade quicker.

R

RKZ234

Fitted DBA Slotted rotors (Front only) in conjunction with Police Pack Pads (Front only) and it made a HUGE difference.

Very cost effective safety improvement in my books.

Logzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Clubsport
RKZ234 said:
Fitted DBA Slotted rotors (Front only) in conjunction with Police Pack Pads (Front only) and it made a HUGE difference.

Very cost effective safety improvement in my books.

Agree, if you had standard pads before then you will notice a huge diff.

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
the only differnce in slotted to non slotted is the heat transfer.
it's all in the pad & and pistons...(as far as any standard driver goes)

We've had ALL our cars running with bright red (glowing that you can see) disks and the pad differences were amazing...

Bendix ultimates or performance the way to go....

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I've been running the Police Pads (Bendix Ultimates) since new. Work like a charm. You may change them more often depending on your braking style, even a machining of your rotors are possible (then again you should get em done so often).

The stadad Pads are soppy and give you no braking confidence what so ever.

R

RKZ234

slowr8 said:
it's all in the pad & and pistons...(as far as any standard driver goes) QUOTE]

Not quite true. Slotted Rotors also allows the pad surface to be swept clean. The slots also prevent gas build up between the pad surface and the rotor. (Gas build up reduces braking performance and creates brake squeal) So slots equate to better braking performance with identical pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Balistic3.8L

slowr8 said:
it's all in the pad & and pistons...(as far as any standard driver goes)

We've had ALL our cars running with bright red (glowing that you can see) disks and the pad differences were amazing...

Bendix ultimates or performance the way to go....
agreed bendix are the best i hade standard holden pads on mine and they were screaming like a taxi put bendix on all good now