Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best oils for gen 111

arnizoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt5.7ls1
i have a gen 3 250kw with 150.000 on the clock no oil burning problems yet .i currently use Fuchs 10w 30 synthetic.my mechanic is telling me some of his customers tell him to use penrite 20w60 as they were told they use it in the U.S.A .please can someone tell me what is the best oil to keep my gen3 going forever

Decksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S, VZ Adentura, JH II Cruze, VL Wag ned2sell
In my opinion (I don’t know any1 with a genIII so not sure about them but) I don’t like synthetic oil don’t trust it, but 10w 30 is bloody thin, 20w60 is good or 20w 50 would be good as well one example I know is on four stroke outboard boat motor they had a bad knocking noise and some of them were blowing up and they ran 15w 30 then they started using 20w 40 and the noise stoped and there still going so in my opinion thicker is better
Hope that helps.

matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Acclaim
check out the "motul" range

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
hey...mobile 1 is the recommended. but so is using 2.5 litres per 10k.

I am trying valvoline xld at the moment.
I wouldn't use penrite since i used 5 ltrs in 300klm in my old 350 in my patrol and when i used the valvoline is was fine....
10w is fine...it's whats recomended.
just change it every 5k and you'll be right....
ps i have 142k on the clock and mine does use a bit....but it is "within standards for that engine" accoding to holden...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I run valvoline, reason being where i work fleet of trucks(interstate prime movers) also run valvoline, every 5000k's i send a sample back for analysis, when it isnt a smiley face on the oil report i change it. I have yet to have any problems with it

PS: thats in a VT SS series 2

M

mervabulous

LS1 oil

10W30 is the ideal oil for this engine. It all comes down to build tolerances, and 25W60, is way to viscous, it will give very high oil prerssures and bugger all flow. Great recipe for damaging the engine. This is the sort of oil you would put into and old clapped out engine from the 70's.

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
ive stuck with CASTROL MAGNATEC and on the last service of my parents VY LS1 GENIII the mechanic dudes said to use it, apparently its awesome, some people even under-rate it, better than what it costs you ;-)

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
i use ULX 110 10w30 in mine 107000k's no probs

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
Go with castrol Magnatec best oil I have ever used. I'm a mechanic and every mechanic i know uses it. I have a vx ss gen 111 with 79,000 and change it every 5,000, I give my ss the usual sideways treatment, and it dosen,t leak or use a drop. :w00t:

exec57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXECUTIVE
I have been using Castrol Magnatec in my VT Gen 3 and am happy with the result, oil seems to stay fairly clean, I wouldnt go too thick I've been told that they have very tight tolerances in the bearing department, pity they have loose tolerances in the piston department...........