Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX On Gas

Pookie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I am thinking about getting a VX but the thing thats putting me off is the amount of km's i do a week ( 400kms).If i decide on doing this its just so i can tow a boat.

I now have a 4 cylinder car cheap on petrol and im not sure about having a big petrol bill.I was thinking about getting one thats on gas but a friend told me commodores are not good on gas as in they are hard to get tuned on gas and never run properly.

He was saying how gas runs hotter and i might burn out valves ?

What sort of kms do you get on your Vx i travel in 80km and 60km speed zones on way to work so no real city work.

What sort of milage do you get out of a Vx as in ammount of kms per litre

Any help on this would be great

Cheers

M

mwb235

If you go to the trouble of getting LPG i reckon (1) only do it if you're gonna keep the car for a while, (2) only fit gas injection (not the old school mixer setup), and most importantly (3) the installation is done but someone who knows what they are doing.

A VX will run fine on gas and i recommend it as long as (1) (2) and (3) apply. Doesn't burn out valves if installed properly - that's rubbish!

There's three types of LPG systems:
1. mixer (old school setup) - actual usage is around 30-35% more than petrol - cost approx $2400-$3000
2. vapour injection - around 20-25% more than petrol - cost approx $4000-%4500
3. liquid injection - around 10-15% more than petrol (don't believe people who say only 5%, that's sales bullshit) - costs approx $5000-$5500

On the first two you CAN fit either the standard tank between the strut towers OR a donut tank in the spare wheel well - don't let any installer tell you you can't. AFAIK there's no donut tank for liquid injection yet (as the tanks are higher pressure) but i may be wrong.

Being pre-Jan 2004 you can fit any if these three to your VX (after then you can only fit gas injection due to the legislation etc).

The old gas mixer setups need constant tuning (every three months) and go out of tune very easily (i.e. start backfiring & blowing airboxes, poor consumption, rough idle, etc). The newer gas injection systems don't have this problem (they don't go out of tune as such) and never backfire like the mixer setups can.

I had a mixer setup on my VT supercharged 2007-10 then 3 months ago had a front end kit fitted (coverted) to vapour injection, that cost me $3000 as they reused the tank & lines etc. The original old mixer setup cost me $2400 in 2007.

My vapour injection installation is a Sequent Plug & Drive system (an aftermarket version of the VE's Sequent system). Vapour injection has it's own injectors for each cylinder. One minor thing i realy like about my system is that the trip computer fuel usage figures are accurate on both fuels, something most aftermarket systems (including my old mixer setup) won't do.

Vapour injection runs and idles better, you don't lose traction control, and it revs harder. Starts on petrol then automatically switches to gas at 39 degress, two cylinders at a time. The changeover is seemless. Performance-wise i can't tell the difference on either fuel and i don't drive like an old lady. I couldn't say that about the mixer setup though, it was noticeably worse.

I don't reccomend you get Liquid injection right now. Yes it's more efficient than vapour injection but it costs a lot more and has only been around for a couple of years. It'd be nice to have but honestly vapour injection has been around longer, and most LPG installers are familiar with it. Liquid injection is the future, but just right now IMO.

Good luck with it.

M

mwb235

anyone recommend a setup for LS1s?

I'd say the Impco BRC "Sequent Plug & Drive" system as it's what Holden uses on the VE V6, but as i haven't had an LS1 done i'm only assuming it'd be suitable, but i can't see why not.

If it helps i can give you my installer's details (they're in Katoomba) they'd know - if so send me a PM. But there'd certainly be someone closer in the city who fits Sequent P&D, i just can't name one off the top of my head.

M

mwb235

What sort of milage do you get out of a Vx as in ammount of kms per litre
Cheers

Sorry Pookie i meant to also say - on the highway my V6 Supercharged uses around 9.5-9.9L/100km on petrol, and 12.0-12.4L on vapour LPG (about 25% more). On the old mixer system it was 13.3-14.0L/100km. An Ecotec V6 would use slightly less L/100km.

My old VR V6 n/a (running an old mixer setup) used about the same figures as my VT mixer did.

I do mostly country kms (regularly travel Bathurst to Albury = 440km) and have kept fuel usage records since my original 2007 gas installation. I don't have city figures.

Pookie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Found a VX tonight with eveything i want on it (tow bar LPG gas tinted windows )

Is there anything i should ask them about the LPG gas system

Also how often do the LPG systems need looking at and how much it cost roughly

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i got my vx converted 6 months i've not had a single issue with it, gas consumption is not that great for city driving but for country is great, really happy with it. 500k country driving 280K city on 60lt of gas

i went from spending $100 per week for petrol to $30 on gas, i paid $2400 for the system with 3 year/100k warranty and got the government rebate of $1750 so it only cost me $650 of which i have already recovered in savings

as far as damaging valve seats that's a thing of past your engine will run cleaner and if you choose you can do less oil changes though i still like doing them now at 5k interval my engine runs smooth both on gas and petrol as the day it left the factory.

i'm the second owner the first owners serviced it religiously(have the log books) and its just ticked over 200k drives like it's a brand new

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Found a VX tonight with eveything i want on it (tow bar LPG gas tinted windows )

Is there anything i should ask them about the LPG gas system

Also how often do the LPG systems need looking at and how much it cost roughly

i've got to look at my service book,but i think it's every 10k and only costs around $80 mines on warranty so i got to them when specified