Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Want to change my exhaust

L

lowwagon_vt

Hi all
I own a 3.8L vt v6 and it currently has a standard exhaust system on it. The exhuast system has a hole and is dinted and bent and sounds crap. So i was wondering if someone could help me out in decideing wat type and size exhaust sysem i should buy?. I would like an exhuast system that sounds beefy and boosts the performance, but i dont wont to spend **** loads of money on an exhaust. I was thinking of just a 2 1/2 inch from the cat back with a hi flow cat is that the way to go?

Please help!
cheers
Browney

Last edited by a moderator:

Decksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S, VZ Adentura, JH II Cruze, VL Wag ned2sell
Buy a pro-ex system bolts straight on from the cat back its 2 1/2 good sound if you start playing with the cat then open your wallet wide. But if you want a good note and slight power increase just go pro-ex from the cat back (Don’t you mean 3.8L vt by the way)

R

RAVENVT

I Agree Deck The Red Back 2&1/2 Inch Cat Back System Sounds Nice And Is More Than Enough Felt The Difference In Acceleration Straight Away.

Got Mine Thru Peps Auto Spares In Artarmon 99062266

VCOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EXECUTIVE S2
Is the Redback Stainless?

5N!P3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Red Back is not the best quality and causes droning apparently.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
5N!P3R said:
Red Back is not the best quality and causes droning apparently.

Interesting that you say that as I have a redback sports exhuast on my VX - cant hear any droning ..........

5N!P3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Depends on the Rev range, and how its mounted too.

BTW unless you got extractors with the cat back exhaust, the cat back upgrade itself will give next to nothing in performance increase, its just for sound, which makes you think its a lot more powerful.

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
just drop soem pacemaker extractors on there, for a little extra performance and fuel economony...then a simple 2 1/2" exhuast straight through to a 3" outlet (of about 600mm in length (for a slightly better growl at the end)...it sounds sooooooooo simple but it'll certainly give great results (sound and performance)...hope it helps

5N!P3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I was told by a muffler shop, making the last 2 feet of muffler 3inch actually disrupts the note of the exhaust and makes it lose quality of sound.

Also if you don't get HPC coating on your extractors, your muffler will not perform as it should and car performance won't be as good due to the extractors dispersing a huge amount of the heat before it reaches the cat, making the cat underperform, it runs better at higher temps, and hot air is ejected quicker out of a tube than cooler air, also your engine compartment will love ya for it, and so will your aircon and air intake system, so it has more benefits than you think.

I am about to get mine done on my VX V6, will have pacemaker extractors with HPC coating, lukey exhaust 2.5", one straight through muffler and one resonator at the back, original Cat will stay in and will most likely have the inlet/outlet enlarged slightly to suit, as the original Cat provides the right amount of back pressure, considering the rest of the catback system will be completely free flowing. Also a twin pipe angled clubsport tip, which actually reduces sound quality compared to a large oval or similar tip, I don't like the look of those in the clubsport kit, and they generally look cheap, twin tips look modern and also give the twin exhaust look so I was willing to compromise on a very minor change in sound for a better look, but as everyone knows, taste varies..

Price for the lot installed will be 1370 approx. Anyone have this or similar system made before? or had a quote done? what price did you get/pay?

P.S. if you don't know much about back pressure, rest assured if you have a carby with older motors, 0 backpressure is the best thing, on newer ECM controlled engines, backpressure is important because of the computer sensors which can really screw up your engines fuel-air mixture if it senses no backpressure (it'll think there's a problem and try correct it) and it will under-perform. If u got rid of the sensors and reconfigured the computer, u'd bypass this problem, but there's a big risk involved, should there ever be a problem with the engine and the sensors are disabled, u won't know about it quick enough and you can kiss your engine goodbye!.

Last edited:

rupinder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Hi there

hey 5N!P3R,
sounds like u know what u doing but just thought i'd let u know.
my friend got a twin exhaust on his vs calais but only one side of the exhaust works due to the back pressure, he also got extractors all fitted for $800 including tips.
the exhaust looks made as he has two oval tips one on either side even though only one side works it sounds good and u cant tell that one doesnt work.

mate got it done in melbourne near the airport. so if you in the area i can get him to get a price for anything you need.