Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lowering a VT

C

cameron4518

G'day, im sure alot of ppl ask about lowering there car so i was looking at king springs (low) and rear shocks with camber kit, got some questions!
can u leave ur standard struts in, as in not ones for lowered springs. Also iv heard u can damage ur diff easily (hitting things) but thats only if ur gunna drop it on its ass hey?? and will it affect ur tail shaft? as ss and commodores with Fe2 have a shorter tailshaft? so ive heard. so what im really asking is
Will lowering ur car say 30mm affect things much? tyre wear, diff, tailshaft, cv boots, ??? cheers!

vtcommodo3800

Got me a v8!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS Thunder
No you don't need to change your struts but lowering with standard shocks will stuff your shocks a little quicker but when they become completely stuff replace them with the right ones, but 30mm shouldn't worry the originals. Also it won't stuff your tailshaft or anything like that. As far as I SS have the same tailshaft maybe just a bit stronger for the v8. Just get the guards rolled and the camber kit adjusted. By the way how much the springs, shocks and camber kit costing ya.

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
i havent had any problems since ive lowered mine...i got king springs, good shocks (cant remember the ones), 17" rims buit also fitted a camber kit...u REALLY need the camber kit, especially when lowering a VT, that I.Susp on the rears really f*ks ya tyres quik, and being lower does it even quicker...duno if that helped but, but yeh...:D

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
cameron4518 said:
G'day, im sure alot of ppl ask about lowering there car so i was looking at king springs (low) and rear shocks with camber kit, got some questions!
can u leave ur standard struts in, as in not ones for lowered springs. Also iv heard u can damage ur diff easily (hitting things) but thats only if ur gunna drop it on its ass hey?? and will it affect ur tail shaft? as ss and commodores with Fe2 have a shorter tailshaft? so ive heard. so what im really asking is
Will lowering ur car say 30mm affect things much? tyre wear, diff, tailshaft, cv boots, ??? cheers!
My advice is DON'T DO IT!!! You'll chew through tyres too often!

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Yeah you can leave your struts but if you/someone else jack your car up or put it on a hoist you'll need to make sure the rear springs are fixed in place when taking it down, if theyre not then theres a chance theyll pop out and your ass will drop, which is bad.

If you drive carefully over speedbumbs & up kerbs then you'll be fine. The main thing that would hit anything would be mudflaps & if you find they scrape alot just take them off it it bothers you. There should be no probs with the tailshaft either.

I dont like to contradict you hsvkev260r8 BUT my advice is DO DO IT! If you're going all out then go superlows too - springs are the same price & it looks awesome! If you get a 4 point camber kit installed aswell, which you definately should, then the camber isnt much worse than it comes standard so your tyres wont wear down all that much more than normal.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I have a VT 's' and have lowered it one stage lower than the FE2 it had and in my opinion it should be lower..

I put Lovells springs, Koni shocks and a 4 point camber kit and it handles like a go kart.. In regards to the camber, I am sure it sits straighter at the back than when it came out of the factory...

oliver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
what is a camber kit?

vtcommodo3800

Got me a v8!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS Thunder
Hey i just put FE2 in my 6cyclinder. Not much lower but made it look better then standard. I am going to pull the front ones back out and cut 1/2 a coil off then it should look a lot better and i still won't need a camber kit. Cheering finished for $180 new. I definitly have to be carefully where i take it and how now though. I will post pics when finished the front.

vtcommodo3800

Got me a v8!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS Thunder
The spring guys said because they are v8 ones it won't hurt them taking 1/2 a coil. Just gotta be careful when jacking it up. But i am starting to think about not cutting them and just leaving them.