Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalled and now wont start

Doka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
Fixed : VT stalled and now wont start

Hi Guys,

I am about to head to vic for the both the xmas break and for my mums 80th birtheday but today the VT is playing up. Went out to get fuel and it stalled at a set of lights. Key off and started again.

Got about 200 meters to the servo, fueled up, started and drove about 500 meters then stopped again.

It started and then drove about 1km or so, before stopping and now wont start at all.

Engine turns over, but wont start.

Never run low on fuel, always (in the 6 months since i have had it) refueled at half tank minimum.
Battery is only 6 months old and checks ok with multi-meter

When it stalled there was no splutter, rise in revs or anything etc, its just like the key had been turned off.

Shorted pins 5 and 6 on the diag connector and received 12 - which i believe is all systems pass fine.
When i turn the key on i can hear the whine of the fuel pump, so i assume that is working.
Fuel filter is flowing fuel and less than 2000km old

Could the crank angle sensor fail with no code? Thats all i can think of at fault at this stage.
Im hoping its not the fuel pump as its a full tank of fuel !!

Any suggestions? It drove fine yesterday but today its not working.

Last edited:

Vxceptional

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S1
Could be a few probs couls be:

Fuel injectors
spark plugs
spark plug leads
cam shaft
Or even dodgy fuel

Couldn't really tell you so many possibilities

Doka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
only took about 20 litres and always fueled up at the same place so i dont think thats it..well assuming its not.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like it could be the crank angle sensor....Ive also found that dirt and moisture can build up in a fuel tank if you let fuel sit around in it not getting used.It goes stale too.Id let it get to a quarter or less before refilling it.Doing this wont stuff up the fuel pump either like a lot of people believe,as long as the pumps not run completely dry,it will be fine.The lower fuel level also allows any dirt to get through to the fuel filter from the tank where it can then be removed with the filter at filter change time,otherwise it just builds up on the bottom of the tank over time.

Last edited:

Doka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
Tried the cold water trick on the crank sensor, and tried it when its cold but no go. turns over, sounds a bit rough and kind of sounds like it wants to start..has me thinking its fuel related..but i am no expert..only had it six months so have not learned all the noises it makes yet..

Fuel is getting past the filter, plugs, coil packs and leads are all roughly 3000km old.

And of course, apart from the fact its on the side of the road up the street and its raining..when you really need to look things up in the service manual, do you think i can remember when i put it grrrr

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Sounds like fuel pump to me.

Vxceptional

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S1
when you try to start the car getting someone to hit the fuel tank with a mallet a couple of times see what happens.

Doka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec
anyway of checking it? I have a dfi module and coil packs from a Super6, dont know if that will work in a normal v6 but can swap it out and see?

TheSly1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
a multimeter and follow the wiring into the coil i would suggest check for 12volt