Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Opinions

P

Phil

Hi everyone,

I wold like to hear from people about different tyre brands they have had and what their experiances with them have been.

This mostly relates to tire size 235/45/17. I am looking for opinions on other brands besides Bridgestone. - Like Perelli, Goodyear, Dunlop, Kumo, Falken ect.

Things like,
1. Tyre wear
2. Wet weather performance
3. Road surface noise
4. Handeling
5. Price

etc.

Cheers

Phil

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Falken were great tyres - but i never got the life out of them that i wanted.
I actually found Yokohama to be the best that i've had - or Bridgestone.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i had a full set of yokohama's on my vl commodore, they lasted about 9 month's, lucky to get 20,000k's out of them, sad to say, there were 215/65/r15. both front and back, i found them to be extreamly noisy, and for the 145.00 for each tyre it was honestly a waste of my time.

didnt realy do to good in the rain, but did handle the dry like glue. other than that, i wouldt get them anymore

i got a full set of dunlop ventura's now on my vn, had them for almost 1 yr, i cant complain with them, they are a bit noisy but i can live with the noise, (just wind my window up) handle realy realy well in the rain, i mean, they grip and just wont let go, they were 139.00 for a tyre, not much cheaper than the yokie's, handle the road in dry good also, no complaints their, tyre wear is very good, i still got the little knobly things on the tread (you know the knobly things you get on a trye when theya re new) problem is they dont realy bend much for rocks or little holes, kinda make a huge thud. they are 215,65,r15. i would recomend them to anyone.

hope this is insightfull for you

cheers
garth

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Really! I got around 40 - 45,000 Kms out my Yoko's. I didn't find them as noisy as the Falkens and never had a drama in the wet.

P

Phil

G'day guys and gals,

I was talking to my local Holden dealer today..(good friend in spares) about tyre choices. He said to me that he change the tyres on his VX SS from the Bridgestone B530 to the NEW Dunlop SP 3000A's. He said they seem to handel the road nicely and perform better than the B530..

Just thought I'd share that info to the group... I think the SP3000A's sell for $210 here in ACT for the 235/45/17.

Cheers

2000VT

Hi aLL about tyres i have yokk's on my VT 235x45x17 they are about 30 000km old still about 50%tread wear well handle like **** in wet and noisey im going for donuts next a friend of mine has them on his VT and they are the ducks nuts in every way i was very impressed and you would want to be for the price
and remember RIDE IT HARD AND DRIVE IT FASTER

235rwkw

Reaction score
anyone that get more than 30,000 ks on tyres drives like a granny period. or runs **** hard tyres, which would not have grip.

kumho 712's silcon compound handle well, grip well and are quite cheap around $180 each. hey why pay loads for a tyre if yoou don't need too. they grip but will last 30,000 or less. not so bad when you can corner quicker

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Right-o-mate!

Whatever ya reakon!

P

powerinnumbers

we need new tyres on my mum's VT desperately. i'm banned from driving in the wet, which fully sucks

i don't think i really have a say in what type we get, but i reckon dunlops would go alright. she's takin her time too, i just wanna drive!!

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
On a bit of a side note here I have always been a retread fan as they were cheap then I decided to chuck some radials on (Pirelli P5000 & P6).

Now I tend to take it much easier now on the tyres, probably because I'm paying for them.

The Pirelli's in my opinion have been great so far, they grip well in the dry but not entirely sure about wet as I tend to slow down a bit earlier so I can't I have completely tested them in the wet.

My old man has Kumho's on his VS and he swears by them although driving like the old man he is it's hard to say whether they are any good or not.

I looked around at Bridgestones, Kelly, Good Year etc but wasn't happy with what I heard about them ie Kelly is crap in the wet and Bridgestones / Good Year are fairly ordinary for Km's. The older Yoki's from what I have heard are a much better tyre than the new one's but I can't say for certain as I haven't had them.

As for Dunlop I won't buy them on principle, I am sick and tired of seeing them in the darn ads on tv while the V8's are on. Probably a reason why I don't buy VB either.