Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at Buying VT SS Series 1 5.0 Litre

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I was wondering are they anything to look for when looking to buy a VT Series 1 5Litre SS?
Are they a good car, as I can't really afford to go to the 5.7Litre Series II.

Thanks,

madmartian1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 195
hi ive got a vt ss 195i and in all honesty if i had the time again i wouldve saved a few more pennies and got a s2 not that a 5.0 is a bad car but i would say its more expensive to modify. ser1 has what..175kw std and a gen 3 has 220 kw std youve got to spend that extra just to get the 5.0 up to gen3 standard specs and a gen3 doesnt seem to cost as much per kw to modify as a 5.0 but then you cant beat the sound of a 5.0 :)

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Just another question to add. What sort of fuel ecomnoy will 5Litre VT do?

Thanks,

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Umm anyone here own a VT 5Litre? ? ? ?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
Umm anyone here own a VT 5Litre? ? ? ?
just a vn ss 5litre mate me 1991 VN SS

Xfordman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7tr GEn3 SS
gday mate i got a mad deal... i got the gen3 SS in mint condition for 15K in melbourne. came with extractors and exhust....

i no its hard to find a bargain like this but take ur time and look around trust me. oh and madmartian1 is right trust me better to get gen3 than the 5.0ltr ss, cause my mates got a 5ltr ss and i rip him off the road...

oh and the petrol qs.... well my good man many ppl will say its a rip off and cost a bundle.... i asked the same qs befor i got my car... and well lets jsut say i fill up on 98octane and if i gun the car around i get about 300kms out of it but when i was driving sensibly i got nearly 500kms. and this isnt with the electronic meter reading empty to tank... cause when u gun this car it falls like a cow.... this was setting the trip to 0kms and actully noing how much i get out of a tank...

the qs is u want the car???.... and petrol isnt going to be getting any cheaper.. drive sensible when u need to and hopefully it wont eat too much..... but when u need to teach some punk a lesson i suggest u have some petrol in the tank....lol

cheers.... :coolpimp:

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Thanks for that, but my mate owns a 5.7Litre VT and I know roughly how much he gets to a tank. It's about the same as yours. But I was just curious about the 5 litres. But I will take all your advice. As I am probably not ready for another 6 - 12 months and probably by then I should be able to find 5.7litre for the price of a 5litre or cheaper by then.

Thanks,

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
if your in melbourne check out the auto group auction site,,,,,,more ss 5.7 get sold as ex fleet cars all the time mostly on saterdays.......ex company cars and fleet cars....mondays and thursdays is family car day...........thay have a web site with all the up coming cars listed with year.km,acc and so on....thay bring in cars from all over australia.......................cheers

9C1pack

Reaction score
Go the 5.7L. you will have to spend a lot of money on a 5L to get it to keep up with a 5.7L. in power and economy. The 5L will be harder to sell when the time comes, as they are known as an orphan in the motor industry (no-body wants them).
If you are in Melbourne do as recommended by "justbad4you" and check out Autogroup. I was there 2-3 months ago and they had a blue 04 SS with 60K on the clock (Ex-Police, immaculate) that sold for just over $30K, not sure if it was a VY or VZ it had those fake vent/scoop things on the front guards if that is any clue.
I would think, that as sales of V8's have stalled (fuel price rises) your money should go further now than it would have a year ago, (Xfordman got one for 15K). I personally think it will all blow over, consumers will get used to paying the price and will drift back to the larger cars/4WD's. Thats what happened in the late 1970's early 80's, I remember seeing 350 HQ Statesmans in Kevin Dennis newspaper Ads for cheaper than corollas and datsun 180B's, a few years later the prices bounced back.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yes as the prices of fuel have gone up the price on v8 has come down....ive been looking at the auction for the last few weeks and the prices of v8 have started to drop....i think some small biz may have decided the fuel was killing em and now thay will get a cheaper car to run....at the momment the prices at auction for v8 are getting better. but as stated above i think the v8 market in in a little shock at the momment but i think 9c1pack has got it right( the v8 market will pick up again soon and the prices will go back to almost what thay were pre 2003 when gas was under a buck........so may be now is the time to get a v8 be for the second hand v8 market rises again.........................cheers