Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

105k service holden vs ultra tune vs other tuners

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hello all im looking to get my holden berlina seviced this week some time,im now the second owner of this fine car ( the car was treated very very well)all of its life its had the servicing done by a holden dealer. what i would like to know who offers the same or a better service than holden dealer at a cheaper price?ultra tune says $320 but i aint rang to find out how much holden will charge for the same job bet its a little more ( does any1 know what holden charge for a 105k service?) does any 1 think i should keep taking it to a holden dealer? and if so what would be the reason to keep taking it to holden. why i ask this is that i dont care who does the service as long as its done how it would be done at holden or better im in the south east of melb if any 1 know a good place in the south east please send me note.............any help on this issue would be a great help also.......cheers again guy and thanks heaps.....................tony from melb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I have lost all faith in Holden Dealers for regular servicing. They are overpriced and they use the 1st year apprentices (no offence to any of you, but when I pay top dollar I want a qualified technician).

I used them for my first two services and they overtightened wheel nuts, left a spanner in the engine bay and left grease marks on the duco.

The next service I went to a small garage and they found the radiator could not hold pressure under test (something that should have been found first time around).

The most recent service was done at a Midas dealer near my place. They offered pick up and drop off to my door, conducted a full inspection, upgraded to synthetic oil and provided an inspection report, all for $150 less than the standard quoted price from Holden.

I suggest you get into a good relationship with a local authorised mechanic. One good tip is to see how "proud" he is of his workshop. The Midas owner /manager showed me his shop, explained the work he does, provided other options with the service (but did not pressure me into anything) and regularly has his technicians cleaning up so that it always looks spotless.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill Ring Mida On Monday

THANKS FOR THAT ILL RING MIDAS AND GET A PRICE ON MONDAY.....AS LONG AS IT DONE WELL I DONT MIND I DO KNOW HOLDEN OVER CHARGE ON EVERYTHING......IM KINDA LUCKY I GOT A MAYE WHO GETS ME ALL MY PARTS AT TRADE PRICE BUT I I CANT GET A SERVICE AT TRADE PRICE BUT :w00t: THE CHEAPEST AND THE BEST WILL DO ULTRA TUNE IS ASKING $320 FOR THE 105K SERVICE ILL RING MIDAS AND ASK THEM ASLO............THANKS HEAPS HAVE A GOOD WEEK END AND A BETTER WEEKS START..............CHEEERS TONY

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Yeah, exactly what Marks-VY said.
Find a good local mechanic that takes alot of pride in their work. My mechanic is just a small private one but he really looks after my car. I the seven years that i've been going to him he has never stuffed me around.

9C1pack

Reaction score
Holden over charge

Rang Holden to book my son's Astra for its 3,000km (free) check, I enquired about getting the oil & filter changed even though holden don't specify a change until 15,000km. The guy told me it would cost $125, I replied, your guys will have the car up on the hoist doing the check and inspection any way, I think $125 for oil & filter and undoing a sump plug is excessive. He went away to check with someone and came back and told me that they did not recommend a change as the initial fill is a special oil (originally he told me it was not a special running in type oil) so I followed there advice and did not change it.

I take my VT to Repco autocare, the local guy is extremely fussy and has a reputation of being dearer than the other mechanics in the area but still cheaper than holden, and does an excellent job.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I always took my car to the Holden dealer..They assigned me one guy who called me and told me everything they were doing to my car. They were absolutely awesome.. Definitely go back again.

But I decided to take a pot shot with a medium sized mechanic. Large enough to have a full garage of cars and an adjoining Auto Elec business with the same name. They put normal engine oil instead of LPG oil in my car and grossly overcharged me. They charged me more then the Holden Dealer would.. They also left my service book lying on the floor of my car and didn't even bother to stamp it..

Now I'm not taking my car anywhere but the Holden Dealer.. But I guess big companies like Ultratune would do a good job though..

But do not take your car to Ask Automotive on Aristoc Rd. in Glen Waverley.. Unless you want to part with your hard earned money and have nothing to show for it.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Again All

I Will Try And Find A Place That Is Fare.....any One Know Any Place In Melb South East Who Will Do A Decent Job For Me.....if You Know Some One Guys Please Drop Me A Line.......................tony

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The deal with apprentices working on cars is simple, they are given simple things to do like oil changes & brake checks, anything deeper than that is done by someone more qualified. The apprentices are not ever left completely alone on anything until they have proved themselves.
Dealerships are expensive yes, but if you want people with the most model specific knowledge working on your car you have to pay the premium.
please dont let this turn into a dealer bashing thread, im sure there are those of you who have "horror" stories about dealers but think about it from my point, i get at least 4 or 5 phone calls a day from these "fantastic" repairers wanting to know how to do something, normally really stupid stuff like resetting the service reminder.
if i sound bitter then yes i am, people generalise far too readily after having one bad experience.

Rob

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill Give Holden A Ring On Monday And Ill See What A 105k Service Costs? If It Aint That Much More Than Say Ultra Tune Then Ill Take It To Holden.if Its Way Over The Top Ill Take It To The Best And Cheapest Place I Can Find. But My Aim Is To Get It To Some One Who Cares About The Work Thay Do.any Money I Save All Gets Put Back Into My Car So To Save 30 Or 40 Bucks Gives Me A Half Tank Of Juice Or Some Other Bit For The Vt,,,thanks Again Have A Good Up And Coming Week .........cheeeers....................tony

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I always respect Dr Bob's input and I can only speak on my own behalf using my own experiences. You would have to assess every place individually and whether they are members of the Holden Dealer network or private garages, you will find good and bad operators.

Holden/Ford Network Dealerships can have access to some of the best technical input for training apprentices but you will find those with any skill and clout will leave and open their own shop or at least seek out the jobs that can pay for quality technicians.