Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto transmission problem

M

mikecarp

Anybody ever experienced this? I have a 98 VT auto wagon which drops out of 4th gear down to 3rd whenever I go over 100 kmh.It refuses to go into 4th for the rest of the journey(even at lower speeds) but is fine the next day until I go over 100 again when it does the same thing.Any ideas?

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
I haven't had this exact problem but a little while ago my auto started changing all over the place.
Reset the computer and haven't had a problem since.

N

nrsco

I have the same problem. Occurs reliably after abt 30 minutes of running at speeds over 80k. Usually around 100k. Holden dealer trying this and trying that, so far $750 spent and still not fixed. Work done includes "repairing wiring terminal to connector and test...." followed by "replaced trans wiring harness and temp sensor...". with the comment " - suspect valve body fault if problem is reproduced". It all sounds like BS to me coz I can't believe GM don't have some knowledge of this. Still looking for answers.... Cheers, Nathan

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
now this may not be it....but the after 30 mins and dropping down in gear may be a lead prob.....i was talking to some 1 who had taken thair car into holden four time and spen t oner 450 bucks and still didnt fix it.holden said thay couldnt find the prob?......i asked if he had changed the leads and he said no he handnt....he when to get new lead and put them on.....it was running like dream...now i may be way of track here but thats what i thought with the other guy,,,,it worked for him...it may not work for you guys but its at least somthing else to think about....i dont know a heap about cars ....but ya never know it could be it?....just a thaught........have a good one guy and i hope ya get it all worked out soon and at a cheap price.............take it easy and have a great one ............cheers

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Good idea mate. If you haven't replaced your leads for a while it would be worth changing them anyway. My new leads made a huge difference. I got them before I had my transmission problems so I knew the leads probably wouldn't cause my problems but its amazing how many probs bad leads can cause.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
nathan read my last thread just up 2 spots....what your goin thrue sound much like another vt owner who had all the same stuff done by a holden dealer....if you read the thread on jurking vt it may relate to your car also.........i may be wrong but it sound realy simmiler to another vt owner i have spoken to............i may be wrong but hay at leat you can cross 1 more thing out if it aint your leads....................cheers mate i hope ya get it worked out fast n cheap............take it easy..... ps good luck to you as well chris................tony

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
My problem has been fixed a while ago Tony. Thanks anyway.
Just a computer reset fixed mine. It logged a fault code after I got the transmission serviced for some reason. Goin like new now.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
well done chris i hope she runs for many more ks be fore anything goes wrong again....................................cheers mate take it easy,,,,,,,,,,,,tony

magomes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi guys,
I think justbad4u was talking about me when he mentioned about a guy who spent $450 at holden. The leads did fix the problem and i can say the car is a hell of a lot smoother than before. I did however forgot to mention about the computer reset. I did that also after replacing the leads.

After replacing the leads, i turned on the engine and left it running on idle for 5mins. Then switched off and did a reset.

But unfortunately i have hit some bad news.

Today it was a fairely warm day here in melbourne and my car was left out in the sun for many hours. Work just ended and have gone and turned on the Climate Control. Was talking to someone on the streets and left the engine running on idle for a few minutes. Then took off and it started the jerking again. But no way as bad as before. only a little. Bloody F##K##g thing.

Anyway was playing around with the shifter and i recon i may need to re-adjust whats that thing called? a selecter linkage or gear selector linkage? anyway i have got this strange feeling that it my need a little tiny adjustment.

My question is, if the selecting link is slight out of alignment when switched to D can that cause the transmission to jerk?

M

megaman

mike put the computer on car and see if comes up transmission error i had same problem went to holden dealer said its transmission it happened when drive for over half hour slips back into 3rd geer go on freeway see what happens when car is hot wont happen when car is cold it made me so frustrated as driving along bang straight back into 3rd geer
well needed a recon gear box