Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A K&N panel filter is this better than an air pod

A K&N panel filter is this better than an air pod?

• yes- K&N filter is the go

Votes: 113 80.7%
  • no- an air pod is way better

Votes: 27 19.3%

• Total voters

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
A K&N panel filter is this better than an air pod

R

rattattack1313

Personally,I go for the flat panel filter...there is enough strange looking things under my bonnet at the moment, a pod would just look funny...also, if you have a pod, if it isnt in a box, they can get you.......and if there is a pod filter, then they start asking other questions, like what else have you done to the motor, etc etc.......

R

RKZ234

rattattack1313 said:
Personally,I go for the flat panel filter...there is enough strange looking things under my bonnet at the moment, a pod would just look funny...also, if you have a pod, if it isnt in a box, they can get you.......and if there is a pod filter, then they start asking other questions, like what else have you done to the motor, etc etc.......

I have used both and the Pod certainly provides much better economy.

In Vic, the Pod DOES NOT have to be in a box. (It's got me buggered why any state would require a pod to be enclosed)

Even if you have done other work to the motor, as long as it is emissions complaint, who cares.

I had the Ex's VX with a pod fitted. The car was checked over by Qld Coppers wearing blue overalls whilst on holidays. They checked rego, tyres and id plates etc. All they said was nice neat car and asked what made me fit a pod. I told them we did it to reduce fuel consumption and that it had reduced consumption by over 30%.

4shizzle

the panel air filter is much much better providing u have CAI

B

Balistic3.8L

RKZ234 said:

In Vic, the Pod DOES NOT have to be in a box. (It's got me buggered why any state would require a pod to be enclosed)

Even if you have done other work to the motor, as long as it is emissions complaint, who cares.

I had the Ex's VX with a pod fitted. The car was checked over by Qld Coppers wearing blue overalls whilst on holidays. They checked rego, tyres and id plates etc. All they said was nice neat car and asked what made me fit a pod. I told them we did it to reduce fuel consumption and that it had reduced consumption by over 30%.
Sorry mate got to argue with you there i have put both a pod and KnN on my vt and i reckon i used 30% more fuel with the pod if they were that fuel efficient they would be in every car especially in v6 and v8 cars and it would be a lot cheaper than the factory airbox and extruded snorkels the tec guys that design and test these things are not stupid they would have thought of a pod at one stage(i.e cheaper production costs) yes a pod may suck in more air and the m.a.f reads this but you end up running to rich you end up dumping fuel dont get me wrong pods are great for the track but suck for fuel effcientcy on a stock general road use commy :bop:

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
4shizzle said:
the panel air filter is much much better providing u have CAI

What is a CAI?

And also what is a panel? Is it just a replacement air filter pad, same as the standard one, except that it lets air through it more effieciently??

R

rattattack1313

RKZ234 said:

QLD Coppers on holidays checked your car..OKAY.......Pod filters are illegal, because if a spark happens along and there is some fuel/oil on the filter, it WILL catch fire.....THAT is why it must be in a box.......and it reduced fuel consumption by 30 %?????OKAY......

R

rattattack1313

vyaw2003 said:
What is a CAI?

And also what is a panel? Is it just a replacement air filter pad, same as the standard one, except that it lets air through it more effieciently??

CAI= Cold Air Intake................A PANEL is the actual filter rectangle thingie.......a replacement for the original........K & N are supposed to be better than stock.......a POD is a round fitler thingie.......

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
lol at rat, nice description there. anyway, i tried both, hated the pod, love the k&n. i have a CAI also, but tried both without one. the only way a pod will be better than a panel filter is if its mounted as far away from the hot engine bay and as close to direct airflow as possible. i have a commodore magazine somewhere that shows dyno tests with 2 different pods and panel filters in a vl. the conclusion was that the stock airbox is better than a pod and would benefit more with a highflow filter (k&n)

R

RKZ234

The ex's Supercharged VX V6 used to get 14.2-14.5lt/100 km on a regular trip to Bendigo and return. On the same trip after fitting a pod, the consumption dropped to 9.7-10.1lt/100km. We did the trip weekly for about 18mths. The quoted figures are real and accurate.