Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20 inch rims

S

sirus

i have just orderd a set of hp 20's from my uncle tyre and wheel shop and he told me i mite need to change the front strut so they will fit on the front??? is this true???? and is there anything else il need to do b4 fitting them???

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
yes its true, y, dont u trust ur uncle not to rip u off?? but yes what he said is true, the suspension/shocks may need to be played with a little to compensate for larger rims and bumps in the road, etc...especially as u will now feel even smaller bumps because thes eis less rubber between the bitchumen and rim, therefore less rubber to absorb shock...

B

Binary

sirus said:
i have just orderd a set of hp 20's from my uncle tyre and wheel shop and he told me i mite need to change the front strut so they will fit on the front??? is this true???? and is there anything else il need to do b4 fitting them???

Yes, afaik 20" rims will rub on the spring seat of normal front struts, you will need to change them to struts with a higher spring seat. 18" is as big as you can safely go with stock gear. I believe HSV use suitable struts to accomodate their 19"+ wheels.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
wow 20

THE NORMAL rims on a vt rear suffer uneven tyre wear....will 20in have more wear than the normal rim?or wont it make any differance?..........i was thinking about a set of calais internationals and was wondering if thay will cause any more or less tyre wear............( ps any 1 out there with a set for sale in melb :thumbsup: )............thanks have a good one................................cheeers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

S

sirus

thanx 4 ur help fellas...... any1 know how much theese upgraged struts cost???

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
ring pedders.i dont know were you are but give pedders a ring thay normally can help out with what your looking for..........................cheeers...............................tony

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
justbad4you said:
THE NORMAL rims on a vt rear suffer uneven tyre wear....will 20in have more wear than the normal rim?or wont it make any differance?..........i was thinking about a set of calais internationals and was wondering if thay will cause any more or less tyre wear............( ps any 1 out there with a set for sale in melb :thumbsup: )............thanks have a good one................................cheeers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't believe the rim size would matter as much as would lowering the suspension. The reason for the bad tyre wear on early VT's is the poor camber alignment (which is made worse when the car is lowered without fitting camber kits).

This is not affected by changing the size of the rim although it is advisable to have a 4-wheel alignment after changing wheels/tyres. :thumbsup:

B

Binary

justbad4you said:

As marks-VY said, its not so much the rim diameter that effects tyre wear, the strong negative camber for lowered VTs is the main factor. But increasing the width if the tyre does amplify the tyre wear impact from the bad camber - with wider wheels/tyres there is a stronger tendency to run on the inside of the tyre so they can wear faster if the camber is not corrected. Also with low profile tyres there is less movement in the tyre (making the problem worse again). Most 20" wheels are fairly wide, so they will wear badly if the camber is too strong or if you lauch your car at every set of lights.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
will a good camber kit fix or help tyre wear???????????

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
A camber kit will not be a guaranteed fix, depending on how bad your particular car is. As you will find with a bit of searching around different JC discussions, VT tyre wear has been a huge problem for Holden although some are worse than others. The problem was largely fixed with the VT series 2 although there are some bad stories from owners of these models also.

A camber kit will enable a much more precise wheel alignment, especially if you are lowering the vehicle (some places would refuse to do a wheel alignment without them once it is lowered). There may be value if you are putting larger wheels on the vehicle although as I mentioned earlier, this is generally not as big an impact on the camber alignment.