Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats the better oil

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
i have a 1997 vt berlina that has done just over 106k i was wondering as the v6 is getting on in age now ? should i move up to a better grade of oil on my next service?( next service being done next week) and if so what brand of oils should i use? and what grade would suit the v6 with 106k?.............any feed back would be great help.................cheers...........have a good week end...........tony

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I was talking to the guy who services my parents MG ZT.. That car needs an oil change evert 25k, he said it was due to the synthetic oil.

He said that if you used a good quality synthetic oil, I think he said mobil 1, then it would probably be the same for a commodore. An oil change every 25k cuz the oil's fully synthetic and lasts longer..

Is that true? Sounded way too good to be..

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
whats the better oils

R

rattattack1313

I run Pensoil in my Green Eyed Beastie..................and have put slightly thicker oil in this time, because it's the original motor, and has a few miles up now, and bits are getting a little worn...............

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes i may try the pensoil this time around ___ are synthetic oils any good? mobil 1???????? cheers

R

rattattack1313

Make sure your wallet is loaded b4 you get the Pensoil.....it aint cheap.............syno oils are ok, but all my racing mates use the pensoil... :thumbsup:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok pensoil it is then rat...the cost is ok with me ill get some on moday....how many liters do i need for the vt and should i grab an extra 1 or 2 liters for later as a top up?

R

rattattack1313

if you are doing a filter change as well( about $8.00 for a new oil filter) you need 4.1 liters...but it is good to have a bit spare, so get 5 liters...SAE5W-30 in the hot weather,10W-30 for winter................

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
rattattack1313 said:
if you are doing a filter change as well( about $8.00 for a new oil filter) you need 4.1 liters...but it is good to have a bit spare, so get 5 liters...SAE5W-30 in the hot weather,10W-30 for winter................
VT 3.8 w/filter takes about 4.9 litres of oil.New oil filter is about $4 retail(s/cheap)Whatever u do dont use penzshit.We've lost two VT/X engines to it.If u can afford it use Motul or Fusch.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
PENZOIL NO good...mmm ok ill take that in mind....were do i get mtul or fusch.and how much are these oil? thanks for the feed back.....................................cheers