Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the leads.

mensor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2
OK I've decided to attack my rough idle problem in three parts.
1/. Refilled tank with Optimax and Nulon injector cleaner.
2/. Replace original leads with Top Gun set rom Autobarn.
3/. Replace plugs with new set.

Question time:- What is the gap setting for NGK plugs for VTSII V6 non supercharged and how the hell do you get the leads thru that conduit to the other side.
I'm guessing that plastic top cover is to come off and what suprises should i expect?
Hope this helps because so far you guys have given me some great help so far.
Thanx

vt busso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
That makes two of us about to do leads and plugs so any info would be much appreciated.

mensor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2
Got a feeling the ap is 1.5mm and a mate told me to use a pullthrough to get leads thru conduit.
Seems a bit drastic when you can see the conduit is already split - is that plastic thing just a bolt on simpleheat guard for idiots who want to see if the top of theengine is hot or not?
you'd think dismantling an engine would be covered in the owners manual under "care for your vehicle".

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
OK............YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE COVER OFF............THEN UNDO THE ALTENATORE.......mmmmmm lol im not laughfing at ya i was stunned when my mate did it for me.lol yep the cover has to come off and the alt has to be unbolted... then you have to take the drive belt off,,,,im only saying what i saw........then you pull the iold lead off and put the new ones on..then put it all back to gether at the end of it you have to do up a bolt the holds the whole drive belt on...............lol ( not like the old days 10 minute lead change..................hope it help.....if ya need to know more let me know amd ill post the details for you bolt by bolt......................

magomes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
i didn't do any of that. I just used a flat head screw driver and slowly fed the lead through the gap and into the plastic tube. Then used my fingers to grab it from the otherside. I have an advantage of having small fingers i think. But it took me 40mins to do it. I still think it is quicker than taking out all those components.

MG

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes but if ya take of all those components you can give it a little clean under there at the same time .....all up both yours and my way end up around the same time factore.....but when you take of the cover and the alt you can blow out a little dust and give it a clean,,,,,,,,,lol we both did it my man so as long as our cars are running better thats all that matters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im glad you did it.........hay what did the leads cost you....................take it easy and if there is anything else i can help you with just send us a message................cheers and well done..................cya........tony

B

Binary

mensor said:
OK I've decided to attack my rough idle problem in three parts.
1/. Refilled tank with Optimax and Nulon injector cleaner.
2/. Replace original leads with Top Gun set rom Autobarn.
3/. Replace plugs with new set.

mensor, i'd greatly appreciate your feedback on whether this corrects your problems - I might do the same if so :thumbsup:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
mensor????what kind of spark plugs did you use?and what did thay cost you?

mensor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2
As soon as I can prise the wife's hands off the car I will attempt the transplant. Hopefully this Sunday....bought TopGun pro 8mm leads from Autobarn for $56 and NGK set of plugs(not iridium) for $18.
If all goes well this should fix the uneven idle - if not will move onto something else.
Sorry about the lack of feedback on this but had to wait 3 days for Autobarn to get leads in - apparently there's been a rush on them of late - hmmmm.

mensor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive s2
problem fixed

Mate of mine said the first thing to look at if idle was rough now and then, hot or cold, only on idle was maybe a vacuum purge hose on throttle body that may not be connected to good.
Sure enough he took engine cover off and found hose was just sitting on its connection. reattached and car is as good as new again.
just a thought but have a look anyway - - - u never know...