Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to reset Engine Light or Airbag codes using elm327 usb

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I was having trouble finding codes on my ls1 but I found the way and now I also found how to reset the light and to check airbag codes and other modules and to reset them.
You will need elm327 code scanner, I prefer elmscan5 compact usb. You will need proscan 5.9. In proscan 5.9 (note 5.7 version will not work) go to file then communication settings and set to automatic detect.
Then click connect.
Then go to the elm menu (it is a white box with elm written on it, next to the log button)
There will be a white box, In it you can type codes. There will be "01 01" already in it so erase that.
In the box copy paste "AT SH 6C 10 F1" without brackets and hit enter or send. It should say OK. Next to retrieve the codes copy paste "19 d2 FF 00" without brackets and it will give the codes that are setting the check engine light on. To reset the light. Copy paste "14" without brackets in the box and enter and it will reset the Engine light. You will see the engine light go off and it will turn on again if it detects a fault. This will CLEAR ALL CODES/ RESET.
Note that in "AT SH 6C 10 F1" the number 10 refers to the ecm/pcm. And "19 d2 FF 00" is the code to retrieve codes. "14" is to reset the light. Remember that you have to enter "AT SH 6C 10 F1" enter and then "19 d2 FF 00" enter and then "14" enter in sequence to reset the ecu. To check codes for other modules here is the list:

28 ABS
40 BCM
10 ECM / PCM (Note: this was number 10 in "AT SH 6C 10 F1")
58 Airbag
60 Instument Panel Cluster
80 Radio
C0 immobilizer
62 HUD

So lets see if you want to check the codes for airbag you have to enter "AT SH 6C 58 F1". (note that I replaced the 10 with 58 in the code). 58 in "AT SH 6C 58 F1" refers to airbag. So to check codes enter "AT SH 6C 58 F1" it should say OK. Then enter "19 d2 FF 00" it will give you all airbag codes. To clear the airbag code type in "14".
Remember everytime you type in "AT SH 6C 58 F1" it will talk to the airbag or whatever you put in there. So to talk to a different module for example the ABS, you have to type in "AT SH 6C 28 F1". You can clearly see that I replaced 58 with 28 for it to talk too the ABS iinstead of the Airbag. both 58 and 28 are in the list above where 58 refers to airbag and 28 refers to ABS.
Important, to retrieve codes from each module you type in "AT SH 6C xx F1" where xx is the module number in the above list and then type in "19 d2 FF 00" to retrieve the codes form the specific module. And to reset the module type in "14" after you have retrieved the codes from that module.

So for me, when I typed in "AT SH 6C 10 F1" followed by "19 d2 FF 00" I got
6cf110590523ff38 on the screen which means codes P0523. Note the code comes after 59. So in 6cf110590523ff38 the code is after 59. If there are no codes or end of list you will get No Data or 0000 after 59 in the code. After i check the code for ecm/pcm (the damn engine light) I typed in "14" and it reset the light and the light turned on again and gave me P0523 which means bad oil sensor. So now I know that I have bad oil sensor.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Great stuff. This ELM327 and Proscan is getting better all the time with your help. I don't know how you find out all these things but I'm glad you do and I am thankful that you share it.
I highly recommend that people buy the ELM327 and download Proscan 5.9, for under $20 you'd be crazy not to.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Yea I googled it and then I tried it with my car and it worked. Do not pull the engine fuse like I said earlier it is not good for the car. And to retrieve or reset codes you first have to talk to that module. So if you want to check or reset engine codes you FIRST have to go to that module by typing "AT SH 6C 10 F1". And then you can retrieve or reset the codes. To retrieve type "19 d2 FF 00" and to reset type "14". This applies to all modules. So that means you cannot reset codes by just typing "14", you first have to talk to that module.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
only ever had to reset warning lights once, when i turned on ignition while airbag was disconnected. cost me $10 for my mechanic to reset it. I'll do the same if I am ever stupid enough to do it again lol that all sounds too complicated for my lazy brain.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
only ever had to reset warning lights once, when i turned on ignition while airbag was disconnected. cost me $10 for my mechanic to reset it. I'll do the same if I am ever stupid enough to do it again lol that all sounds too complicated for my lazy brain.
That's good if you only get charged $10, I was only charged $20 myself, but then there are people like Holden who will charge $80 or more for a 5 minute job. Then there is the inconvenience of having to go somewhere to get it done. I really like to be able to do it myself, it's really not as complicated as it sounds, plus you can do more than just read codes with it.

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
Will this work for all vt/vx? I have an vx exec, I need to read airbags codes on, and it would be handy to be Ble to read oth stuff out of the computer anyway!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will this work for all vt/vx? I have an vx exec, I need to read airbags codes on, and it would be handy to be Ble to read oth stuff out of the computer anyway!
As far as I know the way explained by umair to access these codes is for an LS1 only but I could be wrong. My daughter has a VT V6 so I might try it in the next few days and see if it works, stay tuned.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
This is gonna be good for me next year :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
That would be good.