Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variatronic Power Steering failing intermittently - Statesman WH V6

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Someone please help me!!

I have changed the power steering rack, pump and solenoid switch to fix the issue where the power steering was failing intermittently at low speeds and restarting the engine should fix the issue.
The job was done by a professional.

Done a BCM reset from the fuse box and wheel alignment after replacing the rack.

But the issue still persists. Power steering fails/becomes very heavy at low speeds power like parking and turning corners and when at full lock while parking or slow turning. If I switch off and restart the engine then power steering comes back to normal until it fails for the next time.

To troubleshoot the issue following tasks were performed:
Check system for error codes - All OK no errors
Checked belt tensioner and belt tightness - All OK
Checked suspension system - All OK

When I reset the BCM the indicators doesn't blink after the reset. Is that an issue?

I am planning to flush the system followed by a system bleeding and install a magnefine inline filter to catch any contamination that was not clean during the rack replacement. Is that the right direction?

Can anyone please give me some more ideas to fix the problem from their experience and knowledge.

THANKS TO ALL MEMBERS FOR THE GREAT JOB..

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Someone please help me!!

I have changed the power steering rack, pump and solenoid switch to fix the issue where the power steering was failing intermittently at low speeds and restarting the engine should fix the issue.
The job was done by a professional.

Done a BCM reset from the fuse box and wheel alignment after replacing the rack.

But the issue still persists. Power steering fails/becomes very heavy at low speeds power like parking and turning corners and when at full lock while parking or slow turning. If I switch off and restart the engine then power steering comes back to normal until it fails for the next time.

To troubleshoot the issue following tasks were performed:
Check system for error codes - All OK no errors
Checked belt tensioner and belt tightness - All OK
Checked suspension system - All OK

When I reset the BCM the indicators doesn't blink after the reset. Is that an issue?

I am planning to flush the system followed by a system bleeding and install a magnefine inline filter to catch any contamination that was not clean during the rack replacement. Is that the right direction?

Can anyone please give me some more ideas to fix the problem from their experience and knowledge.

THANKS TO ALL MEMBERS FOR THE GREAT JOB..

Hey mate,

I have the same vehicle and the exact same thing happens intermittently. When I turn the engine off and restart it, then it's good again.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I have always thought of it as a glitch or something or the switch on the power steering rack might be on it's way out.

I haven't replaced anything yet because it hasn't really bothered me. But I wouldn't mind finding out what causes it as well.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
AC Delco doco explaining the variatronic issue

Hey mate,

I have the same vehicle and the exact same thing happens intermittently. When I turn the engine off and restart it, then it's good again.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I have always thought of it as a glitch or something or the switch on the power steering rack might be on it's way out.

I haven't replaced anything yet because it hasn't really bothered me. But I wouldn't mind finding out what causes it as well.

http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catalogue_ACDelco_Steering_10-08-11.pdf

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

Page 4. Every time a vehicle comes to work that needs a power steering rack, I suggest replacing the power steering pump as well, but because I don't know anything and they know everything, we never do.

A VR Statesman came to work because the power steering pump was leaking, and the power steering rack was leaking slightly as well, but apparently we could let that go. I replaced the pump, filled up the reservoir, started up the engine, and it blew out the seal on the top of the rack where the steering column connects, losing all the oil. So we ended up replacing the power steering rack as well.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
I made the mistake of changing the rack, pump and the switch that costed me $900+.
scvs6 you can try flush the ps fluid > fit magnefine inline filter 3/8" > bleed the system.
Won't cost you much. If you get the magnefine from ebay then you pay $36 for 2 (one for transmission and 1 for PS) and power steering fluid + labour.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I made the mistake of changing the rack, pump and the switch that costed me $900+.
scvs6 you can try flush the ps fluid > fit magnefine inline filter 3/8" > bleed the system.
Won't cost you much. If you get the magnefine from ebay then you pay $36 for 2 (one for transmission and 1 for PS) and power steering fluid + labour.

Yeah but now that you have replaced everything, you wont have to worry about it for years now (hopefully).
I haven't flushed the power steering fluid on my Statesman yet, I have been thinking of doing that though, and might consider that filter.
I don't have to worry about labour as I will be doing all the work myself, even if I did need to replace the rack and pump, I would be doing the work.

Anyway, didn't you say that you have done all this but you still have the problem? Or didn't you have this problem until you replaced everything?

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
check the connection where the variable solinoid plugs into the witing loom it plugs in near the battery just follow the wires from the solinoid on the rack. if that doesnt fix it i suggest replacing the solinoid u can get them from holden

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
The solenoid is new about 3 weeks old. I was told it is genuine Holden.
Will check the connection as advised.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Update on the issue:
Visited Holden and discussed the issue.
Holden did a Diagnostic Test for $74.25
Advised that rack, pump solenoid is OK.
Recommended installation of in line magnet filter and power steering flush.
Did the PS flush and the filter from HOLDEN costing $295.15.

THE ISSUE STILL PERSISTS AND IT IS WORSE NOW WITH THE POWER STEERING FAILING MORE FREQUENTLY.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP.

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
UPDATING THE STATUS OF THE PROBLEM:

Once I replaced the engine pulley, tensioner and belt the power steering issue (failing intermittently at low speeds) disappeared.

I will feel great if this helps any forum members since I was out of any ideas and direction with this issue.
Moreover, wasn't very impressed with Holden Service team the way they handled the issue.
Love my car and doesn't mind spending $74.25 for a Diagnostic test provided they clarify me what diag was done and what was the result or spending $295.15 for a power steering flush provided it fixes the issue.
The worst part is Holden failed to give me a troubleshooting path like: PS flush > if not fixed then what???
Anyway, never received a constructive help from Holden service team to resolve an issue but wasted hard earned money with no fix.