Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A puzzle for the Sherlock Holmes of Commodores!

Nikko86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Hey guys, bit of a story.

Recently after having my car (VX II Executive Auto) returned from getting a replacement EGR valve, I started to get an odd problem. The battery light would flash intermittently, at first. Then the headlights would dip, and the ABS light would come on briefly, along with the little engine picture with the lightning through it. I booked it into Lawrence's Holden, in Rockhampton, and the computer apparently didnt throw up a fault. They suspected the ABS module. I was quoted 520 fitted for a new one.

Since then, it has become a full blown reset of the dash gauges. It acts like its at start up, EVERY warning light comes on briefly, the gauges drop to zero, it restarts the little display down the bottom (flashes the 100,000km service thing at me.. it's been done, just forgot to reset that), the headlights go extremely bright during this period for about 20 seconds. However, mostly this only seems to happen after I've run the car for about 20minutes, turn it off to fuel it, visit an atm or what ever.. And it's USUALLY after that brief stop the problems begin. During a cold start, it's not always there.

I conducted a brief test, of around 70km driving with the ABS plug unplugged, and the pins covered with tape to stop them getting dirty. The problem still occurred. So I guess my question is this: Is it still likely to be the ABS module, when the module was unplugged and the fault still occurred? What else could it be? And if it matters, the ABS seems to work fine in use.

Un-dust those detective hats gentleman

Edit: Alternator and battery have been tested fine.

Nikko

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I had a similar problem recently and it was a faulty alternator, so you might want to check that.

Nikko86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Sorry, my fault. Forgot to mention alternator and battery tested fine.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd start with Battery, Alternator and ABS module.

If they want to install a new ABS module and it doesn't fix it, you don't pay for it?

Nikko86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
They don't seem to work like that. They seem to be pushing the fact "they don't know for sure" so it appears the risk is mine. Not sure on the legalities there.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I would guess this is an alternator/battery problem but if definitely not then as you mentioned abs:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/124330-abs-module-replace-repair.html

I've actually heard of this working....somehow.......might be worth a try if it's being replaced anyway, there's another thread on here explaining it in detail, can't find it.....also there's another thread about some people send their abs module somewhere for someone to fix, just can't find it.......
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/195622-repair-your-own-abs-module.html

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
They don't seem to work like that. They seem to be pushing the fact "they don't know for sure" so it appears the risk is mine. Not sure on the legalities there.

Well, if you know someone with the same vehicle, you could simply swap the module over to test.

I find it hard to believe that they think they can make a diagnosis and then install a part you don't require and then charge you for it anyway if it doesn't fix it?

ABS modules are cheap on ebay if you want to take the risk - a used one for my Clubsport was $180 from a reputable seller - maybe check with the local wreckers on prices. I had similar issues, all my lights pretty much came on an a bunch of other stuff like a/c not working etc etc (it seems to vary). You just need to get one from the same year and specs. Mine was for example a V8, Auto, with traction control, etc etc. VX ecec should be fairly simple to find.

Not saying this is THE one you need but this is the kind of thing you are after IF it's the module.

VT-VX (92080879) ABS Module | eBay

HOLDEM COMMODORE VT VX VU VY BRAKE ABS MODULE 5 PIPE WRECKING WHOLE CAR | eBay

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and don't forget the ABS module plug could be loose too.

Be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal when messing with the module as well.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
+1 for alternator
obviously an intermittent fault and when they tested alternator it wasn't acting up
if you could test it when it was faulting i bet you would see 16v to 18v