Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Climate Control HVAC, air mix motor for hot/cold mix flap replacement

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Hey folks searched the forums and finally decided to ask the question before I go start dismantling things, does anyone have photos of the Climate Control HVAC in or out of the car with a good view of the air mix motors that control the hot/cold mix and have perhaps even replaced one themselves?

For the sake of anyone else searching symptoms, have mediocre heating on H and only moderately better with the a/c off, plenty of hot water enters the heater box and the heater tap is working just fine Vacuum off/on, flow etc. Temperature running normal, no air locks in the block. Have ruled out the outside temp sensor as this is giving a realistic reading on the display.

Cheers Shane

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I had a problem like this back when i first got the car, turned out to be a pressure problem in the coolant system, and the thermostat was in need of replacement, havent had a problem since!

M

mwb235

Hey folks searched the forums and finally decided to ask the question before I go start dismantling things, does anyone have photos of the Climate Control HVAC in or out of the car with a good view of the air mix motors that control the hot/cold mix and have perhaps even replaced one themselves?

For the sake of anyone else searching symptoms, have mediocre heating on H and only moderately better with the a/c off, plenty of hot water enters the heater box and the heater tap is working just fine Vacuum off/on, flow etc. Temperature running normal, no air locks in the block. Have ruled out the outside temp sensor as this is giving a realistic reading on the display.

Cheers Shane

I've got the same issues. My heater is nowhere near as hot as it used to be up until about two years ago, not sure why. Have had heater core flushed & had the operation of the HVAC doors checked. Had a new heater tap put in. Both top and bottom hoses are now hot (i.e. same temp). Had the engine thermostat replaced. Fitted a new climate sensor and fitted a new wiring plug (using the special "repair kit" available from Holden Spare Parts). Like OP my outside ambient sensor reads correctly. Even when it's on 30 degrees with the fan on full speed the heater only blows out warm air, like it was on 22 or 23 degrees not really really hot like it used to be if you dared to put it on 30.

It has me stumped what else it could be. I'm wondering if the climate control switch panel (LCD display and switch assembly) is faulty so am planning on swapping it over with another one to see if anything changes. It's frustrating as this time of year in Bathurst it gets bloody cold in the mornings!

Anyone else have this problem?

(btw my aircon works perfectly in summer - nice and cold)

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Thermostat was where I started, fun that is on a supercharged V6 I am sure many of you will agree, if you are gonna do it remember to bring a ratchet spanner and little hands LOL

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Keen to hear how you get on, I will share my trial and error findings too

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
So I kinda gave up searching, wasn't keen to spend a day dismantling the dash to get at the HVAC to see if things were working. So when the heater tap started leaking I pulled off the hoses to turn them back and disconnect the heater altogether. After I did this I tried blowing through the heater core, hmm massive restriction. Got the garden hose out and back flushed it, slow at first but then wow so much rusty sludgy water. Bought a new Gates tap and hose kit, easy fit though tight access and voila, I know have climate air, luxury! So just a suggestion from experience, when you back flush a heater core, do it on the heater core side of the heater tap rather than through the tap as I had done a couple of years back. Doh!