Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue lights behind the dash

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Just wondering if anyone here has changed the green lights to blue behind the dash and in all the other little places. Is it a hard thing to do yourself? How much would it cost to get someone else to do it.. etc. Any info appreciated thanks guys..

hindred

PUP
Reaction score
Members Ride
Green VY S
I'd like to know about this too!

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
A mate of a mate done it to his VT Berlina... he said it was a bitch of a job... then again he does exagerate some things!!!

Apparently, you have to remove some green film on the back of the display as this is what gives it the green colour, otherwise the standard white bulbs behind show thru.

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what he did to get the job done but I will be asking thou cause I want to do the same to my VX.

If I remember right, there was a thread from ages ago somewhere on how to do this... maybe have a look through previous history and see if you can find it?

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
There is someone making new "films" for want of a better word on JC.... hmmm will have a look and see if i can find the threads :D

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Yeah I'll have a look tomorrow. There was a thread in the VZ section of a guy that makes up kits with instructions for people to do it themselves. I'd suppose it wouldn't be TOO much different, but hey.. I wanna get some real details first. I'll post back in here if I find other posts.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=13329&page=2&pp=20

That has a fair bit of detail about removing the dash, and converting the lights to blue. Some soldering is needed to convert to LEDs, or alternatively, buy rubber covers for the globes that was tinge it different. Won't give the same bright effect a LED will though. I'm gonna try and sus out the exact details, and give it a go soon. If I attempt it, I'll post pics and instructions on how to do it.

mozvx

Reaction score
It's easy.
Dismantle your instrument cluster. Be careful not to touch the front of the mask as it stains easily from fingerprints.
Sand off the green print on the back, or any of the other colours for that matter.
Then paint or use a clear coloured contact to add a new colour.
I've redone mine several times trying out different combinations of blue/red.
I prefer the contact as it gives a more uniform colour.

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
I have put blue LEDS in my VX... will post some pics when I can.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Yep, I've done mine also, there are piccies of it in my ride.
Not hard to do, but patience is required. . . . .