Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX S - Getting rims - need suspension advice.

grimavxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S2
Hey hey..

I've got at present, an '02 S pack optioned with FE2 suspension.

I'm looking to upgrade to 18' or 19' rims.

Firstly, which size will give my car a better ride..

Secondly, not really wanting to demolish my front spoiler (already scrapes now and then)

Thirdly, will I have to get all new suspension and camber kit on the rear ?

Would appreciate any advice from someone who's done this mod and any problems/issues they've had..

I wanna get it right the first time..

Cheers :)

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I have a vx s series 2 with 18" chromes. I have no problem with excess tyre wear, i believe they fixed the problem with the series 2 so i haven't bothered with a camber kit. I also have no problems with scraping (also have fe2 suspension).

18s went on just fine. Hope this helps

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
G'day mate,

Yep as said, I've got the same model, I put 18's on 8.5 wide. No probs at all.
The rides a little harder, but u get used to it.

I also haven't worried bout a camber kit, but did notice inside wear on my old tyres. Mind you that was after 20k ks and there was a fair bit left.
So no probs as yet.

Probly just get a wheel alignment once u get the new mags on.
Oh, make sure u get a 4 wheel alignment!!

Cheers, Keegan

grimavxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S2
that info helps thanks..

just wondering if anyone can show me what 18's or 19's with FE2 will look like (in terms of ride height)..

if you've got any side-on pics please post them or (send to my e-mail [email protected]) if they're too big for the forum

Cheers.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
That's about the same height as my car with lowered suspension.. not very happy for the money I shelled out though :S
In the end, sits nice and rides nice.. so you'll be happy with the ride.. but MAYBE not the height.

INSINR8R

INSINR8ED as well.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Clubsport R8
i've got an S also with chrome 18 inch rims. My car also has FE2 suspension, so I lowered it super low all round. Its a little bumpy, but its awesome when your flying down the freeway at 180kms

grimavxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S2
just saw your pics deserthead..

would definitely need to go lower than that, so looks like king springs superlows all round... just a bit worried about scratching/demolishing my front spoiler..

as an aside to that... what does everyone think of these on a red s pack? 19' CV8/R Rims

much better than those 19" mirrors you see on lots of commo's (my opinion anyway)

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
You'll learn quick enough where u can and cant go with a lowered car.
I had to get my bar done 3 times on my old car.
First time it didn't even last 2 weeks!!

Those mags look nice, but its still a personnal choice.
Go with wot u like!!!

Make sure u post picces once u get it done though.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I would check to see what the largest rim size was on offer for the VX. Was it 18"? This will help with insurance as I have heard many sad stories of claims knocked back because of the wheels fitted. If 18's were available as a standard option when new, then there should not be a problem. If not, you may need an Engineer's Certificate if you want to insure your baby.....

In any case, the outside diameter should not be affected by the rim size. You should find the tyre profile decreases as the rim size increases, therefore having the same outside diameter (or close enough to the same). If not, the speedo will not be accurate and again it would be a defect vehicle. Accordingly, ride height should not be affected unless you change the springs.

Based on the above, the larger the rim, the harder the ride will be although it should corner like it is on rails, provided you buy quality tyres.

This might be the thing to consider- rim and tyre costs go through the roof once you get to 19" so you may also be able to buy quality 18" tyres rather than buying 19" and only getting cheap rubber......