Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Problem?

mungx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Exec 914
Hi Everyone,

I own a 98 VT Commodore Series 1, and I've just had it serviced recently.

Prior to that, I was unlucky enough to experience a breakdown on the highway due to a problem with the engine's tensioner. The tensioner itself became loose and the drive belt slipped from the tensioner - pretty soon, my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. After removing the drive belt, draining the coolant, etc - I managed to replace the tensioner that day (new year's eve) and had everything back as it was.

The problem is that after the tensioner was replaced and the coolant was topped off, the engine warning light lit up on the dash. I don't know what had caused it because i double checked under the bonnet and that eveything was correctly fitted.

After the servicing, the mechanic couldn't determine what is causing the warning light to appear as everything appears to be normal - except for the fact that the "engine idle fan" (i don't know the proper name, but its the secondary fan that kicks in to keep the engine cool while it is idle.. i think) kicks in - seconds after the car is started. Even during a cold start.

The car manual says it might be my transmission, but it may well be an electrical fault or something else. Before I talk to an auto electrician, is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing?

All the best

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
VT 98 Wagon

Hi, My Old Man is having the same problem but wasn't caused by the belt slipping off, just started happening sometimes when you turn the car on the fan starts, anyone got any ideas?

S

shsvstewart_8

hmmm VTs are starting tho have the same probs as the ealier Comms, Temp senders can send them into mayhem, inhibiting start performance and fuel econ, but had a strange one at work not so long ago, Vt com sedan, would start but then all trac lights would light up, fuel beep would go off, hand brake beep would also, It ended up being, ABS module, tot unrelated, But hey elctronics, only takes a little......