Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt memcal

R

ravenvtss

i recently bought a vt hsv 195kw memcal for my vt ss im just wondering if there any downsides to putting this in my vt and does it make much of a power gain?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it will not make 195kw as you dont have the camshaft as fitted to the 195 engine.
if you got it from that blackstar guy on ebay he lied about it making 195kw.
you will get a small gain but the idle afr is no good without the cam.

Rob

V

vtv8man

Yea, one of the guys on ebay sells these memcals and is just plain wrong. I have a 195kw VT SS and I had a long series of emails with him,

Sadly he seems to beleive he is correct and Holdens is wrong. The 195's had a different cam, exhaust/headers, and memcal. He beleives that all VT V8's came with the same cam which is wrong.

I hope your memcal gives you some improvement.

Ian

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
i even sent him a copy of the parts listing, a copy of the cam section of the workshop manual & he still refuses to listen, i just gave up on him, hes a rogue

Rob

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I got jibbed by that blackstar guy, got a VT V6 chip from him and lost HP dyno proven, lost on road speed and got engine fault codes when using his chip. Told him all this and he just kept rambling. Haven't bought a chip since as I am too scared getting ripped up again

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
knowledge_is_power said:
I got jibbed by that blackstar guy, got a VT V6 chip from him and lost HP dyno proven, lost on road speed and got engine fault codes when using his chip. Told him all this and he just kept rambling. Haven't bought a chip since as I am too scared getting ripped up again
Did you leave negative feedback on ebay for this blackstar guy? I just looked him up on ebay and he has sold 870 items (not all of them memcals) and has 100% positive feedback, which means he has had no complaints.So it seems his customers are happy. I don't know the guy I just had nothing to do so I thought I check him out.
I have bought many bargains from ebay. A few weeks ago I bought 6 brand new genuine holden fuel injectors for $174 ($29each) It costs more than that to have them cleaned. I installed them and they work fine but I couldn't notice any difference so I guess my old ones were fine.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
I didn't leave any feed back. His argument was that I got what I paid for (as in a chip) and that a loss of 5 hp on a dyno wasn't proof that the chip didn't work,with variations in results of different pulls, which is true because with just my normal chip there can be a difference of 5-8hp between pulls. But when you over lay the results of the two chips you can see a significate loss in the low to mid rev section of the graph on Blackstars chip compared to stock. I'd be happy to upload a copy of the dyno sheet if anyones intersted.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I would have left mutual feed back stating you lost 5hp with new chip.

K

kadog

I got ripped a couple years back from a place called powerchip in melbourne. Paid $800 on a gold chip and LOST power when i had it dynoed compared to the stock chip.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
That was unlucky, I got a powerchip from Melbourne and it gave me more power in my VN.