Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken tail shaft

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Hi All,

I have broken my tail shaft and need some help!

The part that is broken is on the tail shaft itself where it bolts up to the yoke on the back of the trans.

What I really need to know is does anyone know which part of the drive shaft is different for the sedan vs. wagon? the front, middle or rear? also V6 to V8 what is the actual difference?

I have been without my car for 3 weeks and am getting desperate!

D

devilly

from memory difference between v6 and v8 is ratio or weight placements.don't interchange v6 and v8,have a look around at a wrecking yard.dunno about the length with sedan verses wagon.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
being a VX it'll be tailshaft rubber donut, ~$80 to buy n six bolts to replace it.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Wagons and Statesman/Caprices, both shared the same long wheel base.
Me thinks tail shaft will be longer than VT sedan.
Keep this in mind if you are replacing it.
Take a tape measure with you to the wreckers to be sure.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The rear section differs in length between sedan, wagon etc
The front section differs between v6, v8 etc (Iirc it's 2-3 inches difference. Also trans type comes into it for length)
VT & VX s1 are different to VX II, VY.

If mixing and matching 2 different pieces get it rebalanced as well.

If it's the VX II/VY shaft then splitting the pieces in half may not be possible (rubber doughnuts and uni in the middle)
The joint is splined with circular spring lock, fills with crap and gets rusty, needs to be pressed apart.......
It's a 50% chance to get it apart without damage. 50% chance it won't come apart or it gets damaged.
Even most mechanics don't try to fix these, it's a change over job.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The tailshafts in VT-VY seem to be all over the place with what coupler they use, Some have donuts some have unis and some have a center uni instead of a CV.

We have 2 std VX series 1 commodores, identical except one has unis and the other has donuts. Cant work that one out.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
mind has the 2 donuts, and it is the flange that has snapped not the donut, don't ask my how! No wrecker in the counntry has one the same so I need to mix and match from what I can find and have the made up one balanced.
going on 3 weeks without a car, I am never lending it out again :( Couldn't go anywhere for xmas and car sat at the mechanics for the whole break.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The dodgy option: Find an earlier VT/VX I shaft from the same configuration (body, trans & engine) also get the flange off the diff center.
Swap flange over (may have to cut a small amount off the front of the pinion if it protrudes to much and fowls tail shaft flange from sitting flush), bolt it all together.

If the rain hurries up and cools this place down a bit i'll drag a VX center out and swap the flanges over to show what needs to be done.

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Im surprised the mechanic had said that.

In fact when my gearbox sheared the tailshaft on mine, the repairer stated that they couldnt find any, but i did.

Anyway, dunno where in NZ you are, but heres a couple places to look into.
And also, any decent tailshaft repairer will be able to fix the tailshaft within a few hours.

atlbalancing.co.nz

Beattys

MS Coombes Ltd

Automatic & Manual Transmission Repairs Auckland Gearbox Repairs New Zealand Gearbox Rebuilds NZ

https://partsworld.co.nz

My tailshaft when it died.
IMG_1722_zpse41353f0.jpg

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
thanks Uniacidz that is exactly what mine has done. How did yours happen? Was it from abuse or wear and tear?

I have also called all the wreckers with no luck.

as for the Gearbox factory well, we go right back, and I will not use them because of their shoddy workmanship.

I will have a look at the rest, thanks.