Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer head unit for VX

stilly

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know if it’s hard to fit a new CD player to a VX? Is the old player hole the same size, and what sort or brackets do they have to mount the new player. I have seen you can buy coin type shelfs to put under the new player to fill up the gap. Can u get them from most car stores, eg repco, autopro.

Cheers

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
The brackets (or cradle) will most usually come with the head unit so you don't have to worry about them, I know our local autobarn stocks the pocket that goes underneath as do most car audio store. If you can't get hold of one I think the actual part comes out of a mazda so try going to their parts department and ask them. It's pretty easy to fit too.

R

Robbie

Yeah I've heard something similar to that about the pockets. They shouldn't be too hard to get as a lot of people are putting single din stereo's in the commodore.

Cheers,

Robbie

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
Yes mate, easy job to do. The new headunit should come with a cage which can be snuggly fitted inside the existising double din metal 'cage' and rivetted or screwed in.

The pocket is a ford/madza part and can be purchased at the respective dealer. Ive heard of people paying upward of $30 from Autobarn, I bought mine for $11.90 from a Mazda dealer. Looks the goods! By the way part number for the pocket is......... B02A-66-9M0A

This is a Alpine unit I installed in my VX Clubsport, literally a 1 hour job!

mypic9.JPG

Cheers :)

holdenlover

Reaction score
Hey Raff,

Do your steering wheel controls work with that deck?

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
holdenlover said:
Hey Raff,

Do your steering wheel controls work with that deck?

No they dont, you can buy a steering wheel control whatzy from the states for a bit over the $100 mark which bridges the aftermarket deck to the steering wheel controls. I didnt bother, in the 6 months I had the stock deck in place I never once used the steering controls. Too awkward I think!

The Alpine deck comes with a remote - but again I prefer to make that huge effort to reach out and control from the headunit!! :p

Cheers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Have to agree with you there, I've got a similar deck, and I'm always too slack to reach down and search for the remote, so I just press the unit itself.

The remote usually gets passed to whoever wants to fidget with the music, usually someone in the back seat.

C

clinker1212

depending on how big it is you could get some velcro hook and loop dots and stick it on the steering wheel somewhere. Not sure if this will work with some units but its an idea. You can always check. That way you don't have to take your eyes off the road if changing while driving.

Clint

B

bdcmedia

For my DVD/Screen set up, I used the hook side of the velcro on the remotes and I stick them to the roof lining. They hold there nicely and you cant really see them from outside the car!!!

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Nice one people. I'd like to see more pics on here if anyone else has changed the stock stereo over. I believe ebay fetches over 400 bucks for the stock radio. I couldn't believe it. I might have to sell my old one and and get a new one. I think the double din looks more standard and looks more natural. I dont like the double dun decks with the apparent tape slot. I dont realy need a tape slot. It looks so old. I want a nice double din with mp3 and something good looking. The pioneer double one has some weird stupid looking scroll thing in the middle at the bottom. JVC has a few night ones though.

I did a lot of investigation in regards to the steering wheel controls and I believe there is one in the US that may work but If you go to

www.blaupunkt.com.au

they make radios that will work with the standard wheel controls. There are Pioneer control converters as well.

Last edited: