Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - fuel filter connection clip broke

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
I just attempted to change the fuel filter and with assistance from another post in here using a Supercheap Fuel Line Disconnection Tool both connections came off and the inlet side connection clicks back up on as per normal but on the outlet side; one of the clip parts have broken away and only clips up on one side and drips fuel.
This isn't acceptable so I'm wondering can anyone suggest a simple solution to overcome my problem.
I've taken a real close look at the connection and it looks like the connection tubing part is connected to a metal tube which leads back to the engine.
Will bicycle it over to Holden this afternoon and see what fuel line and connector parts are available.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i have the same problem, the clips have been broken before, the outlet side has a small hose clamp on it but the other side ,with the broken clips wont budge, I don't want to get to tough on it in case it breaks. seems a easy job to replace filter, but not after some ######## stuffs it up

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
After looking some more in here, I see my question is very common and I've found where others have said Repco sell the connectors.
Holden wanted to sell me the connector and all the metal piping from the filter to the engine and when I said WTF he then said Repco sell the connectors and even gave me their part number.
Tomorrow I'll see if they have the connector in stock and if not I'll go visit the wrecker and cut one off with a decent amount of tubing that's in good condition and join the tubing to mine and get back on the road.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Piss the connector off and run a standard EFI hose clamp?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
At lunch I rode down to Repco and they had no connectors in stock and luckily Auto Pro had a good selection and had the Commodore ones.
What I did was bought 1 connector and a 6 inch length of 5/16 fuel hose, I then Araldited the connector into the hose and fitted a hose clamp.
I then cut the original plastic fuel tubing about 3 inches from where it mounts onto the metal fuel line and trial fitted the new 5/16 hose over the original plastic tubing which is a perfect snug fit but the end won't go over where the original plastic tubing mounts onto the metal tubing so I took out the blow torch and applied a little heat but first applied the Araldite all over the original plastic tubing all the way up to where the plastic tubing mounts.
I then slid the 5/16 over the original plastic tubing and up over where the original mounted onto the metal tube. Then tightened up a hose clamp, connected the new connector, fasten up a few zip ties and no more leaks and I'm extremely happy with the results and all up about $40.00 to repair.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
come fix mine lol:beer chug::beer chug:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
30.07.15 - Still no leaks and nor do I expect any and with the new connector no tools are required to disconnect because the connector has a tab you press and she just pops off.
Tomorrow we're heading off to a couple of Mountain Biking challenges and all up we'll do roughly 2,200 klms.

15.08.15 - Update, A few days ago we returned from our mountain biking adventure and traveled 2,470 klms and not one drop of fuel from the newly repaired connector and hose.

26.03.17 - Update, Changed the fuel filter today and the setup is perfect.

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Reply no longer required

Last edited:

Bob33

Reaction score
Members Ride
e3 maloo
i see a few of these where people have cable tied the connector on i dont recommend it but they have worked if your stuck somewhere