Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the factory Stereo

girlracer

HSVLADY
Reaction score
Website
www.numberplatesforyou.co.nz
Members Ride
HSV R8 vx11
:b: Have put in a new stereo. Does anyone no if you can attach the wiring to a new stereo so it works off the steering wheel buttons. The existing factory one has a facility for remote imput the clarion one I have doesnt. I dont think you can run it with the steering wheel controls. It doesnt matter to me but I think for resale it may be a feature to have the controls working. I've kept the factory one and can always put it back, but what a mission it is.

Attachments

• stereo.JPG
    stereo.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 686

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
There's a thread somewhere about a device that hooks up to your steering wheel controls, and comes out somewhere else in the car as an Infrared Sensor. It turns the steering wheel controls into working remote controls. Have a search on these forums.

Also what I've been wanting to know.. the factory wiring.. can that just be plugged straight into the back of another head unit? Or do the wires have to be separated?

girlracer

HSVLADY
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
HSV R8 vx11
To install the clarion stereo i just broke into the factory wiring for power etc. But after i had done this I decided to buy a surround to fit in the hole in the console left when i removed the factory stereo. Anyway this surround came with a wiring adaptor which you could use to connect any other stereo to. This would save lots of time. picture attached.

Attachments

• wires.JPG
    wires.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 435

girlracer

HSVLADY
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
HSV R8 vx11
Have found that thread you were talking about, but I'll have to check if my clarion has that feature. This is the article copied and pasted.
I've got a VX II S Pak,. I bought a Clarion system, and they have a unit called a cat system. It basically turns the buttons on the wheel into a remote control. So they still do the same thing, but you have to set up a little infared sensor aimed at the deck for it to work. It cost 175 for the unit itself. I've had a little toruble getting mine to work, due to 2 faulty units???
I havent come across any other type of systems.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Thats un-freaken believeable!!!

I've got the same model car, same brand head unit, and same device for the wheel buttons and I went through 2 "cats" b4 I finally got one that worked. . . .
Not that it works 100%

Wen i hit the Vol up button, the vol goes down. Wen I hit mute, the vol either goes up or down. . . . Or if I hit next, it changes track and mutes the stereo. . . .
Unfortunately its too old to take back . . . . .

Well at least u know your not the only one with troubles. . . .

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Deserthead I think that was your post. I was copied and pasted.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Ahhhh, I didnt read it right. . . . .

Well no wonder thats so unbelievable then. . . . .
Its MINE. . . . . .

Do'h

I'll just get back in my box now. . . . .