Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a vt ss 5.0L??

rekless driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
I am looking at buying a VT SS Commodore with a 5L in it, it has done about 120000 kys if anyone owns one and has had any problems...what are they? Also is there any sighns I should look for if the kys have been changed? :driving:

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I own one and havent had any out of the ordinary things go wrong. Mines got 109,000Ks on it. Replaced the belts so far thats about it.

davus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII HSV SENATOR 5.7 / VTII HSV GTS 300KW
Have to say its one of the best cars i have owned

Dave

Last edited:

13bbprx7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V8 5.0
i woudldnt get one mate, i own a 1998 vt with 5.0lt, manual, and all ive had is problems with it. coming from an import back ground, i now wouldnt ever buy another commodore, worst car ivr ever owned.

luke

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
only problem ive had was alternator dying, besides that its been a sweet ride.
signs you should look at, if its manual, clutch slipping, oil from the heads and check tyre wear. apparently some chewed the rubber fast than others.
120,000 clicks? check service records, oil, plugs, usual tell tale signs if a car has been looked after or not.

if you really wanna be fussy, bring ur own trolley jack and boost her up, check if the diffs leaking, any cracks or bends in the crossmember, tailshaft, gbox etc etc

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
ive got a VT 5L SS had 130000 on it when got it, got 180000 on it now, no major dramas, think the most ive spent on mechanical repairs is for changing the belts and sparkplugs!!! The 5.0s are as tough as nails..........but thats just my opinion.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
No nothing with the 5 Litres, but the problem is you can buy a 5.7Litre for the same price. All depends on personall opinion.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

be_inspyred

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo & VT SS 5.0
i bought my VT SS with 150,000 on it , it now has 165,000. Had no major problems, ive just done all the routine service stuff on it myself. Im about to change the belts and aircon pully tensioner as they look worn out. Besides that the previous owner just replaced the alternator. Im going to service the auto as well, which i think is important as many ppl skip this.

Only other thing to watch out for is rear camber (which cant really be avoided) i think i will get a camber kit for it.

Overall im very happy with it and have piece of mind knowing its the reliabilty shits all over early model Gen 3's.

V

vtv8man

I have a VT 5.0 Litre SS (195KW option) - owned it since new (its done 160,000kms). Best car I have ever owned - so I havent got rid of it as yet.

The issues I've had have been related to track day wear. I have now done 5 of them (did a track day at Wakefield Park last Thursday). I had to replace the steering rack, water pump, Steering pump, wheel bearings and alternator. I am convinced most of these items are related to the heat generated at Track Days. I have since fitted an oil cooler to the steering (and the same rack has done 4 track days without issue), gone to different discs which dont radiate as much heat to the wheel bearings. I'm pretty sure the water pump bearing failure was due to the bozo mechanic (me !) over tighening the belt in a hurry at a track day.

Mine has always had its oil changed every 5,000kms, and serviced like clockwork. I serviced/cleaned the injectors a few weeks ago (off car) for the first time and the car runs like new.

Easy car to maintain yourself, and quite reliable. Mates of mine have taken their Turbo Grey imports to the track and better my times by several seconds. However their cars end up needing Turbo work or major rebuilds. I think the old 5.0 litre is pretty good if looked after. Its not as quick as the Chevy V8's, but it depends on what your after.

Cheers
Ian

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
You need to ditch the wheels though.. I'll even be as kind as to take them off your hands ... I won't even charge you for it ;)