Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt air flow meter

bordi1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Iv'e read in a few places of people pulling the mesh out of their air flow meter to increase flow. Has anyone tried this and noticed a difference? Will it affect the operation of the meter itself? Thanks

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
The mesh is there for a reason to stop foreign bodys getting in is it worth the risk for maybe 1kw
Cuckoo

DVS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Don't do it. Nothing gained, as Cuckoo said it stops foreign bodys damaging the MAF.

Thanks
DVS

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
As DVS said before gains aren't great and to replace a damaged MAF airflow meter is not cheap so don't muck around with it in first place

The maf wire inside very thin and the mesh protects it from damage

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dont remove it, but you are all wrong why it is there.
The mesh effects how the air hits the hot wire sensors.
You really think some mesh will stop something that has managed to get past the air filter:eek:
AirStrike :air:

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Help - power worry

My ecotec is down on power, I was told by the Brock shop - which I believe is true. It is making 150hp at the wheels with CAI, K&N, Hiclone, Pacemaker headers, redback exhaust and TBS chip. The power band was very wavy through the revs and I was told something was not right. Can anyone help?
ecotec

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ummm i'll tell you what is wrong...........its the Brock Shop chip!! They should of been able to diagnose the problem for you if they knew what they were doing. Also 150hp@the rears is pathetic for the mods you have, as that works out to be around 110kw@the rears..........

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
AirStrike said:
Ummm i'll tell you what is wrong...........its the Brock Shop chip!! They should of been able to diagnose the problem for you if they knew what they were doing. Also 150hp@the rears is pathetic for the mods you have, as that works out to be around 110kw@the rears..........

Thanks airstrike - what sort of power should I be looking at with the mods that I mentioned? what does a stock ecotec make? what do you think the problem is? I hope there is nothing wrong with my motor - it seems to be running well - but not where it should be. I was thinking that perhaps I might need to replace the MAF sesor or put a high flow cat in? what do you reckon. I was told that my ecotec was running really rich also - don't know why.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ecotech should make around 140-150hp@the rears stock.
I would take the hiclone and put it in the bin. Fill up with some BP Ultimate, top gun leads, new plugs, clean the throttle body and MAF, put the stock tune back on and have another run........you will be suprised.

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
AirStrike said:
Ecotech should make around 140-150hp@the rears stock.
I would take the hiclone and put it in the bin. Fill up with some BP Ultimate, top gun leads, new plugs, clean the throttle body and MAF, put the stock tune back on and have another run........you will be suprised.

Thanks AirStrike, I only run it on 98 octane, I put a set of 8.8mm top-gun leads on with NGK iridum plugs. I'm still very worried about this power issue. I think your right about the MAF and possibly the hiclone - I haven't noticed any gains with it. I have the car booked to go back into the brock shop so they can do some diagnostic work on it to find the problem - I hope these guys know what they are doing - have you heard what the brock shop is like? ecotec