Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17" wheels/tyres package

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
My commodore VX 2001 S has done 120,000kms and due to get some new tyres fitted. I have stock standard 16" wheels with 225/50/16 tyres and been quoted between $700-$800 for four new tyres supply/fitted/balanced.

I have been thinking for a while now to upgrade to 17" wheel/tyre package.
Not bothering getting to get 18" package as I am being a tight arsed with wear/tear on tyres in the future. This is my third set of tyres since new.
Has anyone got some pictures of their ride with 17" wheels/tyres?

I have been quoted for 17" wheel/tyre package for $1200-$1300, I am prepared to pay extra $400-$500 more than getting 4x 225/50/16 tyres.

Any comments will be appreciated.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
All depends on your preference.
If you think your car would look better with 17" and you are prepared to pay for them then go ahead.
There must be some VX SSs getting around your area. What do you think of them. They have 17" wheels.
Just as long as you know when you get new tyres down the track the tyres will be a bit more expensive then the 16" tyres.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
im not sure where abouts you are, but tempe tyres in sydney have 17" wheel and tyre packages for less than $1000.

visit their website and have a look.

http://www.tempetyres.com.au

xss001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VE SS
Just before you jump on to 17" rims and potentially lowering your VX series 1 to Fe2 equivalent you had better look at the Shame Holden shame post.

My VX SS has standard 17"s and have had 4 sets of Bridgestone B530 tyres. 235x45x17 for the rear. Approx $300 each. Main issue is the 20,000 km wear I get on the rears due to the camber issue. Have put a camber kit in for $400 to see if that corrects it but given the comments from others I may not see much joy.

The 235 tyres wear right on the inside shoulder so you lose a lot grip as well. Thank goodness for traction control.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
xss001 said:
Just before you jump on to 17" rims and potentially lowering your VX series 1 to Fe2 equivalent you had better look at the Shame Holden shame post.

My VX SS has standard 17"s and have had 4 sets of Bridgestone B530 tyres. 235x45x17 for the rear. Approx $300 each. Main issue is the 20,000 km wear I get on the rears due to the camber issue. Have put a camber kit in for $400 to see if that corrects it but given the comments from others I may not see much joy.

The 235 tyres wear right on the inside shoulder so you lose a lot grip as well. Thank goodness for traction control.

your first error is that they are bridgestones.:D
they are soft as hell and i know a mate that works at holden dealer was given them to test on a new calais not lowered and the tyres were changed at about 20,000km with no camber issues.
its just the nature of the tyre.

i have a series 1 vt (not lowered) and had the wear on the inside tyre. lowered superlow at rear and 4pt camber kit now the tyre and suspension place are shocked how close to true it is. my fronts are getting more uneven wear than the backs thats how true it is :rofl:
20,000km later still got heaps of tread to go and no signs of uneven wear.
Set of Pirellis P6 four season performance tyres (medium compound) on 17 VX SS wheels

just because a couple of people are having a problem with camber issues doesnt mean every VT/VX owner is

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
mines not a vx but here are the vx 17" SS wheels

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,971
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 502

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
DeanoVT said:
just because a couple of people are having a problem with camber issues doesnt mean every VT/VX owner is

Interesting as does this effect both V6 and V8 VX models?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
webwombat said:
Interesting as does this effect both V6 and V8 VX models?

it affects both VT/VX model in all flavours V6, V6supercharged and V8.
it doesnt matter what engine its to do with the IRS and rear camber.
i think this is aslo a issue but not as common on the VY/VZ but i know Holden changed the mounting points for the IRS to be "better"

there seems to be a common thing that if your car is factory lowered eg: fe2 these are more common with the problem.

the questions you need to ask is basically is the rear tyres wearing on the edge and how severly?
generally the passenger side rear wears more than others.

look i had the problem and the car was not lowered at all, put in camber kit and lowered it low at the front and superlow at the back and the tyres are fine and have done over 20,000km so far like i said above. :dance:

if your not getting uneven tyre wear on the rears...RELAX :D