Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chewing Out Rear Tyres

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
Hey guys and girls, have been a long time listener but a first time caller, my question to you all is this... my rear tyres are being chewed out, meaning i have hade my 5l for 12 months and have gone through a set of rear tyres already... Yeah yeah can hear that already 5l doing burnouts trash. (Well am middle aged and gone through all that stuff many years ago.....) They are wearing on the inside of the tyre and they :hit: are inflated to the correct pressure...:hit: :hit: 32psi... Any help would be appreciated.....

Cheers.. The Brumby

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
It is a known issue with the vt's and vx S1. VX series 2 had an updated IRS system which stopped the inside of the tyres getting chewed up. First thing would be to get a camber kit, although it wont completely fix the problem, it will increase the life of the tyres. Basically, if the car is lower to the ground, the camber increases so the wheels get inside tyre wear. Addind weight in the car over the rear wheels increases negative camber on the rear wheels, as does taking off from a standing start (rear end squats).

Like i said, its a common issue and is up on the forums heaps....

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
As Nikkojoe said...It's a common problem that plagues all VT and VX1 owners and the lower the suspension overall the worse the problem becomes. A Camber/Toe kit should be on your shopping list...also known as a 4 point IRS kit. Rotate the tyres front to back also on each side to help even the wear long term.

Try running a little higher tyre pressure too...around 35-38psi.

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
The vt did have a rear camber problem,which should have been rectified in the warranty process.I agree fit a camber kit.Also rear wear on tyres is worse when the car carries a load in the back.cheers:wave:

Brumbies 5L

Dont Gossip, Just Torque!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L
Thanks for the info... will talk to my local and will see what happens... Why cant other people be so helpful?!?!

Cheers The Brumby.

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Individual build quality was a factor. You were lucky and got a good one. Some were so bad that even a Camber/Toe kit struggled to correct the poor build tolerance. I have been lucky with my S1 VT and it never had major rear tyre chewing...but it still suffered to some degree...mostly on the LH rear.