Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter and cold air intake question

lennys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX COMMODORE
is it possible to install both a pod filter and a cold air intake system int a vx exec. if so will this produce a dramatic increase in performance and throttle response. i have been told by many people that by having both system running they counteract each other and therefore are rendered useless is this true.....

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
No.. You can have both.. As long as the pod is boxed up to take in all of the cold air given by a CAI setup..

They would certainly not counteract each other, in fact, it's the best way to make the most out of a pod..

Dramatic increase in performance and throttle response? Possibly.. Best to ask someone who's done it.. I doubt many have on an Ecotec..

I've got a pod without a CAI, I've seen increases.. But I'm on dual fuel..

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
this setup i have is on a vs...but there's not that much difference.
its a vs s/c CAI with the duct cut off short on an angle that sits right underneath a k&n pod filter with a heat shield.
i find it works really well...and ive tryed alot of different setups on this car and others in the past.

Attachments

• 100_3776.jpg
    100_3776.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 5,051

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
1. Is a CAI just ducted plastic tubing that replaces the standard stuff that comes off the air cleaner box?
2. Where does it get this colder air from?
3. Is it a bigger inlet duct?
4. If it is so simple a matter to get extra power and economy why isn't it standard?
5. Are K&N filters to repalce the std items with it.
6. My ride is factory dual fuel. Why do you say that there are greater advantages for gas cars?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
1.sort of yeah.
2.over the radiator
3.yep..alot bigger
4.it is..on super6 and hsv enhanced models
5.no..you need to buy whatever aftermarket filter you want (whether that be k&n or not)
6.not sure..i dont have duel fuel...someone else can probably shed more light on this for you

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
The best way to reduce the engine heat would be to get a CAI and place the pod inside the filter air box and remove the pannel.
That way its totaly sealed and legal

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
i'm not to keen on putting a pod on. I was told by holden mechanic that a new cai and panel filter replacement is a better way to go.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
why would you bother having both? just choose one and stick with it.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
well on the newer model commodores they do actually use both they have the pod boxed up and then have a cai

you ask why because its a proven fact that a pod will flow better than a pannel filter and its a proven fact that the cooler the intake air the denser the air actually is

so you put both together and you should get better gains than one or the other

an-D

Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Nissan Silvia S15
i used to have a POD on the wagon, first it was in the airbox, i removed the snorkel and just left the hole, throttle felt more responsive:
in+cai.jpg

then i took the airbox off and just left it in the engine bay, throttle felt the same, air induction noise was much louder.
pod_in_engine_bay.jpg

i then decided to move it behind the front bar down the bottom and cut out the plastic bit where the foglights go on the exec front bar so that it would suck plenty of air, throttle felt a tad better and the pod was DANG LOUD! the car was nicknamed the 'aeroplane':

cutout.jpg

old_pod_setup.jpg

Eventually took it off, as it was just loud and gains was nothing to get excited over, i figured that with the pod being down behind the bumper, the air has to travel too far and threw 2-3 bends so it wouldnt be as efficient. if the pipe was straight i'm guessing it would've been much better.

atm im running the bottom half of the monaro cai with the 2 hole mod, and a peice of pipe going from the big hole straight into the back of the headlight to direct the air in.. seems to work the best out of all the ways i have tried and its not extremely noisey!

good luck, an-D