Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

<< suspensions and lowering >>

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
okay I am new at lowering vehicles and I dont kno sh** from clay...

how do I get my ride low and what are the best parts to get..

K

Krizto

Low, fully adjustiable, top quality go for Koni and will set you back a couple of grand.

Low, non adjustiable and good quality go King Low springs and either Pedder's Sports Rider or Munro Sensatec shocks. I have just the King Low springs with FE2 shocks and it sits nice. The shocks are a bit stuffed now and am going for the Munro shocks.

Chris.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
my suspension is getting shot. Have standard now but wanna bring it down to fe2 level. Make it a bit firmer too. I know fe2 is not that low but where i live you really can't go any lower. What springs and shocks do you guys (and gals) think would duplicate best. What about FE1.5? same story. thanks

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
A friend of a friend offered to lower my car for a slab.

That was all nice until I did my homework on the art of 'chopping' springs. From what I heard it wasn't going to be a nice adventure by doing that! If I eventually do it... its gonna be done properly.

So what will a set of 4 King Lows cost in Melb? Do you really have to change the shockers? Have seen'em on eBay a few times but never paid too much attention so far.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
myberlina said:
So what will a set of 4 King Lows cost in Melb? Do you really have to change the shockers? Have seen'em on eBay a few times but never paid too much attention so far.

king springs are about $300...depending on how low you go you ususally have the need for short travel shocks and either a adjustable panhard rod (live axel) or a camber kit (irs).

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Series II VX has the camber kit standard doesn't it? If that is the case, then I am already there!

I was thinking of going super low's (front and rear). You reckon I need to change the shocks or just a recommendation?

The rear ones need replacing anyways... been on there for ages. Factory originals and my car is 209,000kms strong!!! hahaha

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
no, its not a recommendation..its illegal to have uncaptured springs (which is what they will be) on a car...they can come out under heavy cornering or when you go over big bumps. (very dangerous)
so yeah, get some short travel shocks when you lower it.
as for the camber kit, to tell you the truth ive never had a car with irs to worry about it, but its my understanding that when you lower the car the geometry of the suspension is changed and you need to reset the camber.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Camber kit for anything below super lows I have been told. But then again, alot of different opinions regarding this. I have supers (apparantly - sigh) on my rear with no kit. I haven't noticed any scrubbing yet, but eh, I'm sure it's not aligned properly.

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
okay.. so for me to put king lows and short travel shocks installed im lookin at how much..?

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
sno said:
okay.. so for me to put king lows and short travel shocks installed im lookin at how much..?

You have a twin turbo and are worried about price? Unless of course your TT is as real as my dual engined blown 8.5 litre V16. just being stupid, no idea. I spose you could get it all for a grand or spend a grand on each corner. depends on how good you want it.