Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering far too heavy in VT

Pezzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
G'day,

I'm new here, just trying to sort out my steering issue and I hear good things about the feedback to be had at JC...and seeing as how the mechanics were useless, I thought I'd ask the real experts!

Now to the problem - my VT calais has all of a sudden developed a big steering problem. It's just way heavier than it should be! And a little eratic to boot. It is ridiculous to try to turn, you need both hands to turn the wheel even when reversing. The mechanic has had it 3 times, each time telling us that he can't find anything wrong, same deal with bob jane. The pump has had a pressure test, there's no leaking fluid, the bearings, bushes and ball joints all seem fine. The problem seems confined to the rack or the column. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tom

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Steering rack sound slike its on its way out

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Pezzer said:
G'day,

I'm new here, just trying to sort out my steering issue and I hear good things about the feedback to be had at JC...and seeing as how the mechanics were useless, I thought I'd ask the real experts!

Now to the problem - my VT calais has all of a sudden developed a big steering problem. It's just way heavier than it should be! And a little eratic to boot. It is ridiculous to try to turn, you need both hands to turn the wheel even when reversing. The mechanic has had it 3 times, each time telling us that he can't find anything wrong, same deal with bob jane. The pump has had a pressure test, there's no leaking fluid, the bearings, bushes and ball joints all seem fine. The problem seems confined to the rack or the column. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tom
If its heavy in both directions and the pump and oil are OK then I would be putting my money on the piston seal. VT's had a problem with contamination from the steering pump (shot used to clean up the casting) which lodges at the lowest point in the gear at the piston seal where it jambs between the piston and bore and scores the bore. If the bore is scored you will need a new housing or new gear off Holden. Alternative depending on cost is an exchange gear from a reputable repairer.
You can confirm the column by removing the coupling from the gear with the gear on centre. WARNING Please read carefully. Once the coupling is removed note where the wheel is and do not turn more than 1 turn either side of where the wheel is now or you risk breaking the air bag wires. The wheel must be returned to its current position. You should be able to tell if there is any stiffness within half a turn. I think it unlikely to be a steering column problem but to rule it out you could perform this test.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
They also have a problem with the variable assist, that was fitted to calais/statesmans. This problem was also in vx, wh, and the only way that Holden were able to fix this, was to delete this option. VY onwards dont have variable assist.The BCM controls the variable assist solenoid in the rack. Revised Body Contol Modules were fitted.
If yours is a series 1 vt with 5lt, then they had a problem of the teflon seals crumbling and blocking up various parts in the powersteering,most common blocking the pressure relief valve in the pump. If this is the case, the only fix is to replace rack and pump - or rebuild them if you're up to the task. You would also blow through the pressure and return lines.
Ken

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I didnt notice the Calais bit in the first post. And yes the solenoids - mainly the wires where they enter the solenoid case are a weakness. The variatronic steering gears were stopped not because of this problem but that the volume was low and the solenoid manufacturer needed assembly space for another project. The solenoid problem could have been overcome with a push on connector on the solenoid.
As for teflons crumbling are you sure this is not by contaminants in the oil imbedding in the teflon? The teflon material has been the same for zonks but there was a dimensional change from the VS to VT because of a different design of gear and then later I think VT2 that the piston clearance was increased to accomodate foreign material and therefore the thickness of the teflon had to be increased but only the piston teflon. The sleeve teflons have remained the same since the mid 80's.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I agree with the other fellas on this one in which I would be very suspiscious of the variatronic rack playing up, and causing an intermitant problem to exist in the steering. Possibly when the other mechanics have tested this they may have started the vehicle from cold and being that the oil is thicker maybe the problem is not apparent at this time or something else moves when the vehicle is first started but either way I would be very suspect of the rack. If you were my customer a rack would have already have gone in by now.

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
My mate came to me today with exactly the same problem. He said the power steer is still there but alot heavier than normal. I suggested it would have been the variable rate steering (same in my VT Calais). Is there an easy way of fixing this, new solenoid? or does it require a new rack.... I just bought a new one for mine and trade it was $900 brand new genuine. I don't really trust reco units.

If a replacment solenoid can't be found/purchased. Can one off another unit be used? My old rack was replaced due to slackness in the mechanicals. The vari was fine. Is it just a matter of unbolting it.

Also if it's a wiring prob is it just that the wires break as they enter the solenoid? If this is the prob can the solenoid be pulled apart to repair?

Sorry for all the Qs but if can save my mate some money it'd be great as he has helped me out heaps in recent times.. LOL

Cheers,

Tark

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
You can purchase the solenoid seperately, i wouldnt try repairing it, very thin wires. The connector to unplug it is clipped to the front of the strut tower, kind of in front of the ABS unit. You will need to unbolt the 2 securing bolts, 19mm socket underneath and an 18mm nut on top. You can just pull rack back enough so that you can get a spanner/shifter/multigrips onto the solenoid.

Don Sutton wrote:As for teflons crumbling are you sure this is not by contaminants in the oil imbedding in the teflon? The teflon material has been the same for zonks but there was a dimensional change from the VS to VT because of a different design of gear and then later I think VT2 that the piston clearance was increased to accomodate foreign material and therefore the thickness of the teflon had to be increased but only the piston teflon. The sleeve teflons have remained the same since the mid 80's.

If the VT is a series 1 5ltr, then it will be the teflon crumbling. Trust me ive cleaned out a few systems and rebuilt many pumps.

Ken

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
hkmonaro68 said:
If the VT is a series 1 5ltr, then it will be the teflon crumbling. Trust me ive cleaned out a few systems and rebuilt many pumps.

Ken
I'm curious about this. Do you also have crumbling teflon problems on AU Falcon as they were the same teflon?

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Dont know about the Falcons, i havent worked on many Fords since i stopped working at service station workshops. I had only seen the teflon block up components on V8s, not V6s or Gen3s.
ken