Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a VT berlina

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
I am looking to buy a VT berlina. I have seen one in pretty good condition with 160k. What do I need to watch out for? I have heard that a 160k service involves replacing a lot of things. Is this true and if so what needs to be done?

BC

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
The best way to maintain any car is to follow the owners manual in servicing. The car should come with this and the coupons in the back will assist in letting you know the condiiton of the vehicle you are going to purchase. By simply following this guide you will keep the vehicle in top condition and get the most out of your cars components. I always follow the book for my customers cars and they last a long time without major repairs. If the book says to replace something at that mileage DO SO!!! Your wallet will love you later down the track and your car will be more reliable giving you greater economy. Good choice VT Berlina!!!

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Thanks for that, I dont have the manual for the car and was just wondering what needs doing at 160k. I have heard that the timing belt and other major things need to be done at 160k. Is this true? I currently have a VS Acclaim and the auto transmission needed replacing at 180k. Is this common or just random? The car I am looking at is immaculate but I am just a little concerned that it will just cost me a lot of money for the first service. I always get done what is recommended by the mechanic but dont want to be up for a 1k service first up. Also I am tossing up between spending more for a series 11 gen3 rather than the 5.0. Is there a huge difference in power?

BC

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I done a 160,000 before christmas on my car. I think it was engine oil/filter, fuel filter and I flushed the coolant (every 2 years on changing the coolant)

I

improvize

VT Berlinas are a nice car. I have always liked the Berlinas. Only problem is they always need wheels. Holden puts very plain wheels on them.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
160k service

The 160k V6 service requires air, oil and fuel filter replacement, oil, spark plugs and brake/coolant flush if not done in the last 2 years. Check the serpentine (fan) belt and replace if it shows signs of cracking in the "v" (inside surface).

The log book also includes lots of checking - diff level, transmission, hand brake, brake pads etc.

Also advisable to do a wheel rotation. Easy:p