Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maintenance Costs

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Hi folks

Just bought meself a 98 VT Exec and I was wondering how much to put aside for Service & Maintenance costs... any ideas?

Will probably stick with Ultratune, unless anyone can successfully convince me that going back to a Holden service centre is imperative.

The cars got 101k's on it, and has been regularly serviced every 10,000ks. I do alot of long distance driving (from Blue Mountains to Sydney 3 times a week) and so will be keeping up this maintenance record.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Georgia

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
It's a tough one mate.. Depends on you and the car..

Minor service is about $160.. At the 110,000km mark you're gonna have to get the tranny done, about $180 for that.

I've got a VX Commo with 190,000km on the clock and everything done to it is all routine maintenance. No major repairs.

I'm lucky, you might not be.

There's lot of things that need changing from time to time. Coolant and radiator flush every 2.5 years (about $100), plugs every 40,000 ($25) and others..

And don't take it to Holden. Ultratune would be the go if you want to take it to someone.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
why not do the service yourself or get a mate who knows to help you... things like oil change, plug change, coolant flush and replace, air cleaner..... if its running smooth and not change in your fuel economy then it doesnt need a tune....

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Should be due for the auto transmission service soon. Normally at 110k.
Most things are pretty easy to do yourself. Just grab a service manual from supercheap.
Are you from the blue mountains?

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Completely non-mechanical minded, and don't know of any mates who are unfortunately! Yes, from the Blue Mountains (Katoomba) but work on the North Shore in Sydney. Thanks for all the advice so far. Will be sure to post again soon!

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
gyp23 said:
Completely non-mechanical minded, and don't know of any mates who are unfortunately! Yes, from the Blue Mountains (Katoomba) but work on the North Shore in Sydney. Thanks for all the advice so far. Will be sure to post again soon!
At last someone from the forum that lives near me.
I'm in Wentworth Falls. Was living in North Katoomba until about 3 months ago.

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Small world ;) Will wave at any nice orange Holden I now see in the area. Don't be afraid....

S

SoldClubsport_BoughtHouse

Don't be afraid....
or offended that your lovely car just got called orange ;) I'm sure there's a much more luxurious description of that colour somewhere :rofl:

No offence meant to you Gyp23 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
LOL no offence taken! I'm not known for my flamboyant vocab.
How about 'volcano' or 'burnt sunset'? Hmmm noice.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Well there aren't many "Orange" commodores up here but there may be a few too many silver commodores for me to wave at each one. I'll give it a go anyway:thumbsup:
Colour is called "Tiger Mica" by the way. Luxurious enough for ya?