Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk during heavy acceleration

B

Brett L

Hi All.

Ive got a vt Calais. Ive just noticed a heavy "clunking" noise when i accelerate rapidly from a stop or if it goes back a gear and revs increase. Its a fairly loud noise that happens once and thats it.

Has anyone experienced a similar noise? Know what causes it?

Thanks.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mate it could be one of many thing's, which im sure you will find out, best bet is too drop by a driveline/suspension place and ask them to have a look, most place's wont charge you to take a look and let you know, this way you get straight to the problem.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
I get a loud noise similar to what your saying however that's when I start my car. Sounds like its got to do with the starter motor. It only happens when the car decides to make it happen...lol. But I think it may be cause I turn the key in the ignition too much...who knows. Your best bet would be to have it checked out.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Brett L said:
Hi All.
Ive got a vt Calais. Ive just noticed a heavy "clunking" noise when i accelerate rapidly from a stop or if it goes back a gear and revs increase. Its a fairly loud noise that happens once and thats it.
Has anyone experienced a similar noise? Know what causes it?
Thanks.
Hi Brett,
i am thinking engine or gearbox mounts might be the root cause of your problem, allowing your drivetrain to contact the trans tunnel or firewall someplace.....
let us know how you go

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
Maybe the prop shaft uni joints. The VX has rubber 'donut' dampners at the shafter ends in an attempt to reduce vibration and clunking- helps but doesnt solve! I believe the VT didnt get these rubbers and used the basic uni's which, like everything, wear out resulting in a clunk.

B

Brett L

update

Well heres an update: Was driving back to the office today, when all of a sudden gearbox made a funny noise and now it takes a while to change out of first gear from a stop (is rev's to over 3500 ). Went straight to a local workshop and since discovered reverse gear doesnt work either.

In the workshop currently being looked at. Im suspecting the Clunk may have been a pre - warning..