Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS seried 1 or 2?

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
HEy guys hows it going
Im slowly migrating over from the vn-vp section im on the look out for a vt ss id love a vx but there still a bit pricy for me at the moment and the ones i have seen im a bit warey of cause they seem too cheep.

I would just like to know wat problems the vt ss series 2 had as they were the first with the gen3's i also heard the series 1 5lts are great cause there the roller engines. wat does this mean also do you think i should stay away form the chepo vx ss's the ones that are like under 20grand? they just seem so good tempting and i really want a gen3 more than a 5lt but the wife doesnt want to go past 20g's so i got to keep to budget and maybe a little under budget to get some go fast bits as well.

thanks for the help in advance :)

Stimps

Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Commie
VT Gen III SS owns !! you get 220 Kw stock , Full Alloy engine , FE2 suspension and finally a ride you will be glad ya own !! :w00t:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's not even a challenge... why would you buy another holden with an outdated engine? :)

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
minux said:
It's not even a challenge... why would you buy another holden with an outdated engine? :)

What the hell is that suppose to mean???

Yeah - i would buy series 2 myself if i was looking at a VT.
More grunt for starters...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
MYSS94 said:

Exactly what it says...what is hard to understand about it?

Why would you a buy a car with a 304? It's outdated, costly to upgrade to perform etc etc

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
MYSS94 said:

I'd rather have the LS1 anyday.. Getting power and mods more that is as simple as buying a bottle of coke..

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
yeah i would love a vt gen3 the 5lt arent bad theres heaps off parts out there for them im hitting the autoautions this friday dont wanna bid just wanna see wat prices they go for at auction cause in the papers there around 15 -19 g's for the ls1's

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
minux said:
Exactly what it says...what is hard to understand about it?

Why would you a buy a car with a 304? It's outdated, costly to upgrade to perform etc etc

Meh... you could also say the LS1 is outdated now too... it's all relative.

My vote does go for the S2 though, there is no easier decision to make..

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I went and bought a series 1 ss because the motor is actually the best of the aussie v8. The motor has been in the commodores for 10 years now or so? Thats 10 years they have had to perfect the motor. The ls1 was new to holden in vt.

My 5ltre sounds tougher over the gen3 anyday.

And also my car came with leather seats and sunroof so I couldnt say no been 18 I had to have it.

Also the roller bit means everything has like rollerblade wheels to cause less friction meaning more hp :D

I shredded one of my lifters which is roller so it cost more to replace but it was a good excuse to throw in a cam package and rebuild with performance parts.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Trewman said:
I went and bought a series 1 ss because the motor is actually the best of the aussie v8. The motor has been in the commodores for 10 years now or so? Thats 10 years they have had to perfect the motor. The ls1 was new to holden in vt.

My 5ltre sounds tougher over the gen3 anyday.

And also my car came with leather seats and sunroof so I couldnt say no been 18 I had to have it.

Also the roller bit means everything has like rollerblade wheels to cause less friction meaning more hp :D

I shredded one of my lifters which is roller so it cost more to replace but it was a good excuse to throw in a cam package and rebuild with performance parts.

And yet, even with a decent cam, you will still make just a little more power than an LS1 after a tune...
Gen3's when the exhaust is done right, sound as good as any other V8. Sorry but i'd prefer the LS1 anyday. Show me one mod costing $1000 that will give the holden motor 230rwkw ;)