Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Problem

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Last week I had my power steering pump replaced as it was leaking...
I thought it may have only been the hose, but I got stung for the complete pump.Anyway yesterday as I was driving,the steering went heavy ie: power steering was non existant.I thought WTF so pulled over popped up the bonnet expecting to see rubber hose failure only to see FA.Turned off the engine & rebooted & now the steering is fine again...
Basically is it possible that there is some sort of air bubble in the system & needs bleeding...Just asking your guys thoughts before I go back to the mechanic & have a whinge...Cheers Trevor :mad: :mad:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Could even be the power steering fuse.. Similar thing happened on our WH Stato, try steering that bus in a carpark without power steering.. A fuse change fixed it..

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Rovert said:
Last week I had my power steering pump replaced as it was leaking...
I thought it may have only been the hose, but I got stung for the complete pump.Anyway yesterday as I was driving,the steering went heavy ie: power steering was non existant.I thought WTF so pulled over popped up the bonnet expecting to see rubber hose failure only to see FA.Turned off the engine & rebooted & now the steering is fine again...
Basically is it possible that there is some sort of air bubble in the system & needs bleeding...Just asking your guys thoughts before I go back to the mechanic & have a whinge...Cheers Trevor :mad: :mad:
Possibly a stuck open relief valve in the pump or possible but less likely something stuck on a sleeve or piston teflon. The relief valve theory seems most likely to me. Even if you had the variatronic steering and a fuse played up you would not loose assistance. Commodores at this stage do not have electric power steering pumps.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Thanks for your replies boys...cheers Trevor

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Could also be that the steering rack is fubard?

MANED2001

Reaction score
normally they don't have to replace a power steering pump.

we only put a seal kit in them here, UNLESS the car has
been driven without oil in the pumps which will kill them

andy_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
power steering provlems???????????? ****

hey dudes i own a 98 vt series 1 V6 commodore
i recently had the pump replaced. when i picked up the car the steering turned really easy and was lightier than previous!
i was stupid and did some doughnuts and when i stopped found the steering becoming heavy. is this from over locking the steering wheel during & under high loads (and a common problem)?
this lasted for not long while diving nomally until it went to full no power steering! try steering 245s 19s without it!
there is still full fluid in the resivor and no leaks so this has me ****ed, me and my mates can not figure out what the problem is, i have a new pump to replace it but will not replace tlil i understand the problem fully.
my greese monkey told me "tell me if the steering is too sensitive or not pulling enough & ill fix it" but he closed up shortly after this happened!
does that mean there might be a bleed volve in the rack because i cannot find one on the pump or hoses or resivor!
this has me cooking myself!!!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
You got air in the system I think.

Jack the front of the car up. Put some newspaper or butchers paper under it. Take the reservoir cap off.

Now make sure both front wheels are off the ground and go from lock to lock a few times with the car off. Then turn the car on and go lock to lock.

Keep watching the bottom of the car to see if any red fluid is leaking (other than possibly a bit of over flow from the reservoir).

That's how you bleed the system, there's no valve.

The air might have got in from a loose connection or even faulty reco of the rack.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, the system is under max pressure when you're at full lock. So hold the steering wheel in full lock for a few seconds with the car running to really assess if there's a leak. Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid levels though.

Prijdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Hey guys i just filled up with oil and now the steering hums when i turn either direction. This then follows on to a humming noise while driving and not turning. Am hoping it is something simple and might even be a stupid question but need help. I have a stock 2001 vc exec