Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff gears! Does this sound about right?

plasmid2

Reaction score
Hey,

Got a quote for a 3.9:1 diff gears on a VX. The quotes I have been getting are around $1300 installed. Does this sound about right?

Also I have been told that my fuel consumption would increase. Can someone explain the physics of it all? What actually changes when having a different gear ratio and its effect on fuel consumption?

Thanks for your help.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Quote sounds right..

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
quote sounds right if its a LSD too.

fuel consumption goes up because the engine is reving higher in gears.
considering you dont state what type of car engine & gearbox i will explain to you from a v6 auto perspective. same princple.
the standard diff ratio is 3.08:1. you increase the amount of revs of the engine. the below is when car is in 4th gear
at 3.08:1 on 110km/hr your car is revving around 2100rpm give or take abit.
at 3.45:1 on 110km/hr your car is revving around 2500rpm give or take a bit
at 3.9:1 on 110km/hr your car revving around 3000rpm give or take a bit.

therefore from the above your engine is working nearly at 1000rpm more than standard therefore more revs = more fuel = more fuel consumption

dont forget once done you need to take it to holden or a performance place or similar where they can recalibrate your speedo coz it will be out by a lot and they need to remap your shift points coz they too will be out

Thats the end of class today kids, good luck with the test tomorrow morning :rofl:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well said Deano, unless your doing alot of track work, 3.9's are useless, 3.45 area is best

plasmid2

Reaction score
Thanks Deano. That makes sense. You are right I should have mentioned, my car is a V6. I don't think it has LSD.

Also, to 'minux' I have been told by some diff shops that I cant fit the 3.45 on the VX because they don't make them for the VX or something!! That didn't make sense!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
plasmid2 said:
Also, to 'minux' I have been told by some diff shops that I cant fit the 3.45 on the VX because they don't make them for the VX or something!! That didn't make sense!!

They may not make them in a non lsd setp, make sure they are quoting you for LSD, not a single spinner.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Wouldn't the load change on the engine due to the diff gearing change decrease the fuel level slightly? I am not saying that the car on a whole would use less.Just that comparing two engines at the same revs with different gearing, the one with the taller gearing will need more fuel to hold the revs due to a different load.
Also as the engine VE changes with the revs, finding the point with the best efficiency should give the better fuel economy.
Just thinking out loud.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
at the price of $1300 i would expect it to be 3.9s with LSD.
i think the vt/vx diff housing and gearing was the same so if they still make them for vt it would be same for vx but i could be wrong.

i am gonna put 3.45 on my v6 vt after all the other mods and a singel spinner is $748 (ratio change & diff overhaul) + $110 for speedo recalibration and shift point remapping.
3.45 with LSD is $1400 (ratio change & diff overhaul) + $110 for speedo recalibration and shift point remapping.

but instead of paying $110 for the recalibration & remapping, i will get chipmaster to put chip in for $400 which will also include recalibration & remapping as well as tuning it for best performance with the bits i stick on first.

plasmid2

Reaction score
Deano,

So I am presuming that my VX is a 'single spinner' and I should be able to do what you want to do (3.45) for a similar price?

Let us know how you go.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
plasmid2 said:
Deano,

So I am presuming that my VX is a 'single spinner' and I should be able to do what you want to do (3.45) for a similar price?

Let us know how you go.

unless it was optioned with LSD from factory or ppl before you put it on it will be a single spinner. put it this way. if you give it a little more gas around the corner does both wheels leave marks or one :driving: :whistling

$748 for single spinner at one place and another was $1000 so there is a variance.
car is gonna be at panel beaters for a couple of weeks.
then doing exhaust, extractors, FIT 1.9 rockers and when i gather some more money the diff ratio will be next. but putting car on dyno before & after doing exhaust, extractors, FIT 1.9 rockers.