Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L vs 5.7L

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Even though I own a VS, I thought it would be appropriate to post this question in the 'VT' forum as they came with both at a given point in time...

I'd just like to know people's opinions on the 5 litre V8's, that were available in the VN - VT compared to the 5.7 Gen III that came out in the later VT onwards. What is people preference? How do the two engines compare performance wise and fuel economy? Any other general thoughts please let us know.

Final question regarding this: I know the Gen III is a Chev design but what are the origins of the 5L?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
As far as I know, the 5L is Aussie designed..

I'd go the GenIII without thinking for a second.. It would cane the 5L..

Also, GenIII has a huge market for mods/tunes etc.. Much greater then the 5L

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
shounak i agree i own a 5L vt berlina and it goes ok but my oldman has a gen3 calais and it shits all over my 5L any day of the week no questions asked but as 4 fuel economy i have no idea i get like 400ks to a tank normal driving thats just cruising but if im caining it its much less the gen3 is about the same in fuel economy probaly a bitter more of a juice drinker

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Gen3, better performance, cheaper mods, better fuel economy. 5ltr no ringer

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I've got cars with both engines. The 5.0 has real off-the-line grunt but runs out of puff higher up the rev range. You "feel" like you're flying but in reality you're not. The 5.0 can't compete with the Chev engine in any acceleration testing. As for the origins of the 5.0, that stems way back to the early 1960's when the 253 was designed right here in Aus. The block was deliberately designed with enough clearance for the crank to stroke it out to 308 cubic inches. And as it turned out that was given a slight design tweak later to allow it to be stroked out further to 5.7L for a few models in the 90's. If you want to read more about it get your hands on a the book "History of the Holden V8" by Fiv Antoniou.

Hop straight behind the the Chev 5.7 and it doesn't have that urgency down low, but once you get up into the higher revs it feels like it could go forever. It's much quieter and also more fuel efficient. According to my trip computers, the Chev 5.7 uses about 10% less fuel with my grandma driving doing identical trips. The only downside I've noticed is that unfortunately in stock form it hasn't quite got that burble that the 308 had, and which was still present somewhat in the 304.

But like minux said, the Holden 5.0 can't compete performance-wise with the Chev. Depends what you like with your engines.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Demons1964 said:
Hop straight behind the the Chev 5.7 and it doesn't have that urgency down low, but once you get up into the higher revs it feels like it could go forever. It's much quieter and also more fuel efficient. According to my trip computers, the Chev 5.7 uses about 10% less fuel with my grandma driving doing identical trips. The only downside I've noticed is that unfortunately in stock form it hasn't quite got that burble that the 308 had, and which was still present somewhat in the 304.

But like minux said, the Holden 5.0 can't compete performance-wise with the Chev. Depends what you like with your engines.

Change your diff gears then see if you keep the statement of down low..amazing the difference being correctly tuned and 3.45's in an auto make to these engines.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
5.0 wins with me. Sounds tuffer, more solid feeling, built on aussie soil, they have had 16 years to perfect it... the gen3 has been on vts for what a 2 years?

I got a 5.0 over the gen3 for obvious reasons. Sure it cost more to mod it but it was worth it!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Trewman said:
5.0 wins with me. Sounds tuffer, more solid feeling, built on aussie soil, they have had 16 years to perfect it... the gen3 has been on vts for what a 2 years?

I got a 5.0 over the gen3 for obvious reasons. Sure it cost more to mod it but it was worth it!

So you bought an outdated engine for what obvious reasons? Did you even post any lol?

glen_56

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt in progress
minux said:
So you bought an outdated engine for what obvious reasons? Did you even post any lol?

Trewman said:
Sounds tuffer, more solid feeling, built on aussie soil, they have had 16 years to perfect it

Ayyyy stop picking on us.:p

I have a 5ltr and I think the only thing they have on the gen3 is the sound.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
glen_56 said:
Ayyyy stop picking on us.:p

I have a 5ltr and I think the only thing they have on the gen3 is the sound.

Will pay that..cos it is true, although a gen3 done right can sound damn mean. Too many people just throw cheap cat backs on them though :(