Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

And they said it couldn't be done!

tungsten_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Well I'm finally finished! After 3 long weeks of patiently working away in the corner of the shed I have finished my audio install.

Now before you get all excited and think of a massive 20 speaker sound system that you can hear from 500km away, I'm talking about factory audio install. Yes I have completed installing a blaupunkt headunit from a VY into my VX. Not as difficult as I first thought but a bit of a pain none the less.

I know your all probably thinking why would you do it! Well I personally think the sound quality out of the Blaupunkt is a drastic improvement on the Eurovox, and it had phone integration and still looks reasonably stock looking. Plus I got the head unit cheap from Ebay!! My intention in the long term is to upgrade to a 6 Stacker in dash when I find one for the right price. The single cd was simply a cheapie to get the mechanics sorted out.

Anyway it wasn't too difficult with most of the time dedicated to making the facia fit reasonably snug around the dash. I have attached some pics which I took along the way but unfortunately I kept forgetting to take more.

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
car 003.jpg
car 004.jpg
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

The end result I think looks pretty good and I'm happy with the audio side of things. Even got my car kit hooked up so the sound comes through the speakers. I had alot of fun ripping bits and pieces out of the car although the better half did get a bit worried when she heard the angle grinder starting up.

Only thing left to do is get the steering wheel controls sorted out and I think I've nearly got that nutted out. Hopefully later this week I will be able to get them going. They do require some rewiring as the resistors and the layout of the circuit is different between the VX and VY ones.

Anyway I am happy to give out more information if anyone wants it. I guess whether its worth it or not is up to the individual. I did take the time while I had the car apart to install some LED's into the Aircon, Mode Switch, Dash etc but that was just because I had it apart. Not happy with the dash ones as they are too dull and I need to file the tops off to get more even distribution. But thats a job for another day!

Anyway hope you like it!

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Good work mate!

Excellent job, thought you would have had more trouble with the BCM crap in the later model cars but well done. Love it when someone does something a little different!

Nice mod, looks stock and very well intergrated.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aZk.

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
also have to say job well done only question i have is i c u used expander foam around the vy headunit and vt dash facia im guessing this was just a template then u used fibreglass to fill over the foam and dissolved the foam wif sum sort of liqiud possiblely metho or turps plz correct me if this isnt wot u did

tungsten_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Yeah your right about that - it was just as a mould. This is probably the only thing I wouldnt recommend as the fibreglass resin doesn't stick to the foam very well at all. Had a great deal of difficulty getting it to work and it turned out alright but could have been better.

If I was to do it again I would probably use that Selley's Knead It stuff because I think it would be easier than mucking around with fibreglass and stuff but nevermind.

Thanks for the comments guys!! And if anyone has a VY/VZ 6 Stacker they want to offload let me know!

Thanks

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Nice work, it looks like it was factory fitted.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, no offence but why not just get a nice headunit in there? All the standard ones look ugly :p

Good fitting though :)

tungsten_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Why not put a decent one in there? Because I like a challenge!!!

No I just wanted something that looked stock, and I was told by the better half that I could only change it if the steering wheel controls still worked. So I am under the pump to get them up and running. I think I have it sorted out, I just was short one resistor the other night so I picked them up today and will probably finish the wiring side tonight then install them again tomorrow and see if they work.

I don't know why holden insist on changing things all the time just enough to make it a pain!! The steering wheel controls are basically the same between VX & VY but they use slightly different resistors and just slightly different circuits. The good news is that they are adaptable by just a little bit of rearranging of the existing circuit board - or so I think!

Will let you know for sure once its installed later on.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Good job...Are you thinking of selling your VX unit..

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
looks good man, just need to see if you can change the display on the unit
to red aswel, and would set off real nice. :yeah:

tungsten_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
The VX Unit is for sale on ebay at the moment - see here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4652685142&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

As far as the display goes I am actually going to do the display in Blue when I can get hold of some Blue surface mount LED's. I thought a red display might be a little bit hard on the eyes so I did my LCD on my speedo in blue and the needles/numbers in red and I thought I would do the same with the radio. However I havent been able to track down any blue surface mount led's locally so I think it will be a direct from hong kong ebay special.

Thanks