Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.0Ltr LSD problems HELP

Pyrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5Ltr
hey guys i got a VT Calais 5ltr with a factory fitted LSD in it and recently ive noticed that goin round tight corners at very slow speeds like getting into and out of parking spots the rear end shudders/vibrates...ive tried doing an oil change in the diff but no change...any help would be great would like to prevent as much damage as possible...cheers

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
sounds like both wheels are locking, I think your springs need adjusting or something cos its tight. I wouldnt complain but, be like a spool!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'd say it needs an acid wash and additive change, the VT's were shockers ofr this problem. It basically acts as a locker.

Pyrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5Ltr
thanx mate il give it a try...fingers crossed

Umai Naa!!

R.I.P APY-88V :(
Reaction score
Website
www.aus12.org
Members Ride
VR S1 Exec. A4 3.8L
Mine gets an intermittant shudder at 60klm/h in 4th, in a straight line on smooth roads.

I'm having issues with tyres (running a stock 17 on the left and a 235/40/18 on the right, which should be the same rolling diameter) at the moment, but that will be sorted tomorrow, and hopefully the diff will sort it self outat the same time.

Failing that, I'll dump the oil, and stick fresh stuff in, with the additive.

Pyrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5Ltr
whats the additive?

Umai Naa!!

R.I.P APY-88V :(
Reaction score
Website
www.aus12.org
Members Ride
VR S1 Exec. A4 3.8L
It's an additive that Holden sells to slightly alter the oil, or something like that.

It's supposed to stop the LSD from binding and shuddering.

Have same size tyres on the rear now ($560 later :(). Didn't take much notice of how the diff was behaving, but I think it's ok, apart from the fact that "sideways" is more consistant now ;)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Umai Naa!! said:
Mine gets an intermittant shudder at 60klm/h in 4th, in a straight line on smooth roads.

I'm having issues with tyres (running a stock 17 on the left and a 235/40/18 on the right, which should be the same rolling diameter) at the moment, but that will be sorted tomorrow, and hopefully the diff will sort it self outat the same time.

Failing that, I'll dump the oil, and stick fresh stuff in, with the additive.

err, you should NEVER run variable rim sizes on any car with an LSD....

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Pyrod said:
hey guys i got a VT Calais 5ltr with a factory fitted LSD in it and recently ive noticed that goin round tight corners at very slow speeds like getting into and out of parking spots the rear end shudders/vibrates...ive tried doing an oil change in the diff but no change...any help would be great would like to prevent as much damage as possible...cheers

hi pyrod, had the same problem with mine vt berlina wagon 5ltr. suspension bloke pointed it out when he was replacing rear shocks. Check the gap between the diff housing and your left and right axle where the abs spindle is. should be the same (about 4mm). a circlip holds the output shafts in place and this had worn on my left side. took it to a mechanic and he changed the circlip (externally, no need to open up the housing), however i asked him if the seat on the shaft had worn and all he could tell me is it went back together with a solid feeling, as a result it popped back out a week later and because i waited too long to fix it had to replace the diff centre (hemisphere only) 1000 bucks from holden, 600 from aplace in brissy. watch it if it is this, sounds identical, as when the axle rubs against the diff housing apparently it can rip the seal out. mechanic never seen it before. suspension bloke had. i actually snapped it back min place at first by prying open the gap with a large screwdriver. Only problem now is original pinion and crownwheel produce backlask whine at around 70 down through to55.