Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Help

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 "S" Pac Supercharged
Ok guys im about to do my first service on the car (VX Series 2). I would like to know if possible some of the things i should look for and do other then the general oil change and oil filter ect.. Also what kind of oil and filter do you all recommend. As this is my first time doing it by myself I would like to do a good job. Any tips would be apprecieated :) thanks alot.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If you have the owner's manual that came with the car, it has a section in the back which tells you what should be done and at how many kilometers. As for oil I recommend a semi synthetic 15W-50 but I don't claim to know which brands are better than others.
If you don't have the owners manual let us know and I'm sure you will get advice.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
yeah that bugs me with my car...it didnt have a manual...lucky dads utes are both VS and he has a (similar to) gregories manual hahaha

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Best oil would be semi synthetic Penrite either 15w-40 or 10w-50..

You could also even use 10w-30 Mobil 1, but it has a hefty price tag. One new oil which I have yet to try is the Penrite Syn range of Full synthetics. They make a 15w-50, which would be perfecto..

Check the condition of all of your fluids. F*ck the handbook if you've never done it..

If the tranny or PS fluid is dark red to maroon, change em.. If you don't know when brake fluid was last changed or brakes are a bit spongy, change it.

If coolant is sludgy, brown, lacking colour, flush it out..

Give your a car a good looking over. Check every fluid/oil level, tyre pressures, brakes.. If you CBF doing all that, take it to a mechanic..

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah.. I had a look the coolant is a little brown meaning i need to do a flush? How do i go about this.. Also where and how do i change the transmission fluid. Since i brought the car from a dealer I dont want to take it there and have an apprentice do the service.. Even though i dont really know what im doing with the VX myself but Im sure ill learn.
SO anyway How do i flush a radiator?
What coolant should i use?
Where and How do i change the trans fluid.. Its a automatic.
Plugs? Leads? Do i need to change/look at them?

I really love the car its the nicest ive ever owned and i want to keep it in tip top shape. Oh and 1 more thing how do i reset the Service Meter it keeps letting me know the cars done 70,000kms. Thank you all.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
buy a gregory's manual and it will tell you how to flush a radiator, etc.
best thing you could buy...especially for someone new to the stuff....but its still pretty advanced that it will last ages

lot of guys use it here

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can get one of those from like auto bahn or supercheap yeah?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would suggest you buy a workshop manual for $30-$40 and that will tell you everything you want to know. It's a worthwhile investment. Resetting the the service reminder is explained inthe owner's manual.
1 Turn the ignition off
2 Hold down trip computer up and down buttons together
3 Turn the ignition on while still holding the 2 buttons
4 after approx 3 seconds release both buttons
5 press the mode button untill service due screen appears
6 press and hold both up down buttons for approx 3 seconds untill you hear a beep
7 release both buttons
8 turn ignition off
This is by courtesy of Cuckoo, I found it by doing a search for "service reminder"

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
accentstencil said:
I would suggest you buy a workshop manual for $30-$40 and that will tell you everything you want to know. It's a worthwhile investment. Resetting the the service reminder is explained inthe owner's manual.
1 Turn the ignition off
2 Hold down trip computer up and down buttons together
3 Turn the ignition on while still holding the 2 buttons
4 after approx 3 seconds release both buttons
5 press the mode button untill service due screen appears
6 press and hold both up down buttons for approx 3 seconds untill you hear a beep
7 release both buttons
8 turn ignition off
This is by courtesy of Cuckoo, I found it by doing a search for "service reminder"

Thank you very much i will try that.

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
One last thing can someone explain how to change the tranny fluid and the brake fluid. I hear that changing brake fluid is hard? I will endevor to get a workshop manual but in the meantime if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be really apprecieated.