Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Failure

P

pete

on taking my VT in for an auto transmission service the sump was removed to find bits and peices of metal ,turned out to be a part of a spring but has also caused other damage , the car has only done 100,000 k's but now needs a full rebuild, has anyone else had a transmission failure ????
the car has been serviced every 10,000, trans every 20,000 k's

235rwkw

Reaction score
more info, motor type ?

V8s tend to kill a lot of trannies in VT's, not so much on a 6.

was the trannie running ok before they found this spring ? doubt if was ok it would need a full rebuild as the spring would't go far inside unless it ground up.

Rebuild quote ??

you can pickup a very low k box from the wreckers for 1K for say one with only 10,000 on it, or less for more k's.

P

pete

I wish it was an 8 but no only a 6 ,and there was more than one peice of stray parts as well as some metalic grindings , one piece was spring I'm not sure what the rest was, they did tell me over the phone,part of a thrust bearing maybe.
I was present at the sump removal otherwise I would have thought they were taking the piss. It seemed to be working fine but I did notice it kinda changing funny a couple of times in the last week
I could have had the trans patched up for 1650 $ (nz) but had the other option of a full rebuild for 2250 $ with oil cooler fitted and get a 1 yr warranty, I was reluctant to go down the second hand option due to the time factor in tracking a goodie down, I need the car tomorrow, and I need it to be reliable
the transmission people were not surprised by my failure they have done a 3 others under warranty this month for GM one at 40,000k, they did say that is not the norm and I was unlucky.
I did have a good run with my VS 200,000k no problems apart from a leaky boot

235rwkw

Reaction score
ok your in nz. well yep may be hard to track a low k box cheap then in a hurry.

P

pete

The transmission is also the type with a bolt on bell housing used in a lot of V6 conversions so a bit like rocking horse **** to get hold of here

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Hi

Has the vehicle been stressed with heaps of towing or hard driving without a trans cooler? Maybe by previous owner or have you had it since new?

Cheers
Rob

G

grover

i recently had my vr trans rebuilt,$1200,including exchange torque convertor

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (grover @ Feb 21 2004, 07:45 PM) i recently had my vr trans rebuilt,$1200,including exchange torque convertor
That's a more realistic price Grover, I've had a TH700 done in the past for the exact same dollars. No corners cut and it was a brilliant box. Mind you I've heard of quotes up to $3000.

Jake

G

grover

yeah mate,didnt really want to spend anything but i was fairly pleased with that price,could've been more.labour was the main cost.i dont do auto's...anything else yeah,autos no no no..........