Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Normal air con to climate control

ukgts

A Kiwi in Scotland
Reaction score
Members Ride
UK Spec VT1 GTS 220i
What do I need? Is it even possible? Any advise would be great guys. Thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You will need a different heater box, wiring loom, and the control unit. If you plan to do the job yourself you will also need a lot of time, and if you get it done professionally, you will need a lot of money because the whole dash has to come out as well. It's not really worth the expense.

andrew05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Belina
Yep prop not worth it.

Manual heater controller uses
- A manual vacuum switch (basically a tap) to control the air doors such as demist, up down etc. It does this with air hoses at manifold vacuum pressure.
- A resister pack and swich to control fan speed
- a mechanical wire lever to control hot cold door.

Climate is quite different and has
- A seperate electronic module to control the vaccum hoses
- An seperate electronic transister based fan speed controller
- Motor (and feed back variable resistor) to control hot/cold door (calias has two lhs & rhs)
- Light sensor on the dash (tells cc if sun is shining)
- At least 3 temperature sensors around the car
- Possibly may require a high series bcm
- Possibly other unknown traps for you players.

ukgts

A Kiwi in Scotland
Reaction score
Members Ride
UK Spec VT1 GTS 220i
I thought as much. Thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

Fabled

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S2, WK Statesman, VS Ute, VX Executive 1PC
You will need a different heater box, wiring loom, and the control unit. If you plan to do the job yourself you will also need a lot of time, and if you get it done professionally, you will need a lot of money because the whole dash has to come out as well. It's not really worth the expense.

I have:
wiring loom
outside temp sensor
dash sensor
sun sensor
high bcm
climate heater box and dash controls

I'm wondering if I install everything, should all the wiring already be there or do i need to install that as well?
I really don't want to have to change the entire loom, so am i able to pull the climate wiring out of the existing loom as a kinda sub-loom?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have:
wiring loom
outside temp sensor
dash sensor
sun sensor
high bcm
climate heater box and dash controls

I'm wondering if I install everything, should all the wiring already be there or do i need to install that as well?
I really don't want to have to change the entire loom, so am i able to pull the climate wiring out of the existing loom as a kinda sub-loom?
No
The whole wiring loom needs replacing with climate control wiring loom.
I did this a few years ago.

Fabled

Reaction score
Members Ride
No
The whole wiring loom needs replacing with climate control wiring loom.
I did this a few years ago.

other than to the sensors, controls, unit, bcm and fuse box where do the wires go/ merge with that renders it impossible to install as an aftermarket type accessory, i mean a fair bit of work would be required yes but surely you could, im over seeking answers to questions that get the good old "nah ya canny do it mate" I swear 70% of questions get shut down without any detailed explanation/elaboration as to reasons why.
If youre still going to say that you cant do it at the least elaborate further as to why you cant/ what renders it impossible

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
other than to the sensors, controls, unit, bcm and fuse box where do the wires go/ merge with that renders it impossible to install as an aftermarket type accessory, i mean a fair bit of work would be required yes but surely you could, im over seeking answers to questions that get the good old "nah ya canny do it mate" I swear 70% of questions get shut down without any detailed explanation/elaboration as to reasons why.
If youre still going to say that you cant do it at the least elaborate further as to why you cant/ what renders it impossible
I didn't say you can't do it.
I've read a few threads from the past, thinking the same as you.
After f#cking around for a few years, they ended up taking the dash out & swapping the looms out.

Have you done any searches to find out stuff for yourself?

Here is a page of sh#t to read https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...vt+commodore&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Lets us know how you go, & how you did it.

Fabled

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't say you can't do it.
I've read a few threads from the past, thinking the same as you.
After f#cking around for a few years, they ended up taking the dash out & swapping the looms out.

Have you done any searches to find out stuff for yourself?

Here is a page of sh#t to read https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...vt+commodore&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Lets us know how you go, & how you did it.

Yeah i've seen that and yeah i've been researching this for ages, i took everything out of my Vt Spac when i was changing to a black dash but then realized that the pcm that i had was from a Vx based wiring and had different plugs, so i thought f#ck it it'll just chuck it into the Vx. It does seem to be easier to just change your whole loom but i cut the loom to get it out (yes i knew i needed it) but i figured that you could just make it work anyway

Its a shame that people dont post more step by steps once they figure something out, cause yeah looks like a few have successfully done it (the way im talking about) but no one is willing to offer a decent tutorial.
I might have to do the hard work and do some kind of write up, my theory is that they would've used a base loom and added certain sub-looms based on the level of accessories/model (they did this with the lighting), so follow whatever you need to all of the locations once you've un wrapped it and you should have a spot that it either splices to or a complete sub-loom.