Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff problems?

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi all!

I've noticed my car has started to "bite" a bit when I put my foot down... when I'm cruising, with hardly any throttle, it'll feel like the car is simply gliding. If I then put my foot down to accelerate (not too softly, but not too hard either), I can feel a "crack" coming from the back of the car - like a metal-on-metal thud.

(It could also be the transmission, but it *feels* like it's coming from the rear of the car).

When I was replacing my wheels the other week, I noticed the bottom of the diff has dried oil on it - I'm guessing it is/was leaking a bit.

Anyone experienced this - or is this normal?

It's a VXII Exec ecotech. It's also still under warranty, and my car is booked in for a 60k service next Tuesday - so I guess I'll find out then. But I'm still curious if anyone here has experienced it too.

- Gareth

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Could also be a Universal Joint.. hard to diagnoise with the symptons you gave ;)

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
It's very hard to describe.

Imagine the car is travelling smoothly at about 40km/h on a normal side street. If I suddenly put my foot down, the car quickly jolts forward... but it often does this with a "thud" coming from the rear of the car. It's as if the car isn't in gear, and it's changing into drive too quickly and the gears are clashing for a split second.

It's either the transmission changing gears (and not doing it very smoothly at all), or there's something at the rear of the car hitting something else when I first hit the accelerator.

- Gareth