Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to use during service for Gen 3?

VXExecV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 5.7
Hi there,

Let me elaborate a bit on the title, I'm new to owning my VX and its due for a service. Its a Gen 3, so my question is this what do you guys recommend for Oil / coolant / plugs etc. Even to the extent of diff and trans fluid as well.
I come from a turbo 4 background (open to abuse now) and but having our first child made it a bit hard with a 2 door with the missus, so my contibution to the new (read: family) car was that it had to be a gen 3. Do these things eat platnium plugs and the like, mobil 1 syn, etc etc.

I apologise in advance as I know this would have been answered a million plus one times.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

ps. what oil / fuel filters does it take - sorry... lazy plus its 40 degrees outside.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Seeing as you just bought it, chances are plugs wouldnt have been changed since new(changed every 80,000 or so) so probably wise just to do it for personal gratification. Oil, well each to their own, i used to use Valvoline synth, now switched to castrol synth. Its all personal choice, providing you stick to the manual on oil ratings etc you will be fine :)

PS, remove SS Reductions intake, it makes your car worse ;)

BUNDYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6SP
Holden dealers use Castrol Magnatec 10/40w , it works for me.
Genuine holden oil filters are good and i use Castrol Tranzmax Z for my M6. Also use the coolant from holden, can't remember what its called